markscogg

Well Known Member
Anyone have a wing template for a RV-6 near Charlotte, NC?
Need to do a rigging check for heavy wing adjustment.
Thanks,
Mark

I have two templates that I have used on -4s, -6s, and -7s. I use one on each wing. If you want to borrow them, I will consider the loan, but I will need some serious collateral that is fully refundable when the templates are returned in a timely manner...and I'm not talking months either.

I also have the original crate top that has the wing template drawing on it. And I have a single template cutout (plywood) that I have let others use to fabricate their own templates. I will not lend these out, but you are free to come trace them in Cary.

What would work better?

I have two templates that I have used on -4s, -6s, and -7s. I use one on each wing. If you want to borrow them, I will consider the loan, but I will need some serious collateral that is fully refundable when the templates are returned in a timely manner...and I'm not talking months either.

I also have the original crate top that has the wing template drawing on it. And I have a single template cutout (plywood) that I have let others use to fabricate their own templates. I will not lend these out, but you are free to come trace them in Cary.

Cary is 135 miles each way. It would be better to avoid 2 round trips if possible.
Would it make sense to fly to your airport and just do the checks there?
Or would it be better to drive up with two pieces of plywood and trace the airfoil on them? Then we could take our time checking with our own templates.
Thanks
Mark

Wing Template

Years ago I called Vans and they sold me a plans sheet with the wing profile on it.

The wing templates are at KTTA Raleigh Executive Jetport in my hangar. I can put the plywood original crate top in the truck and transport it to the airport if that helps. Otherwise they are stored at the house workshop.

Will it fit with a trim tab?

Noel,
I just realized your templates may not go on the left wing, as there is a servo actuated trim tab on the outboard end of the aileron.
Are you templates full top, bottom, leading and trailing edge with no split?
If so they wouldn't go past the tab.
Thanks,
Mark

Both of the wing templates are split top and bottom. There is a screwed-on frame that surrounds the entire perimeter so that the template is in perfect alignment when screwed back together. This was necessitated so that the template could get around the protuding aileron pivot brackets on the lower surfaces of the wing. I do reccommend spliting the template when fitting to the wing so that any paint does not get blemished (if you were trying to slide the template along the wing surfaces).