Jamie

Well Known Member
Have you ever flown a passenger that wanted to see their house from the air, but you had no idea where it was based on their description?

Well, the easiest way to find their house is to switch your 496 to automotive mode, enter the street address then save the location. Switch your 496 back to aviation mode and browse the user created waypoints. The address will appear in that list as a waypoint. You can just hit direct to the waypoint and it will take you to your passenger's house.

I've done this a couple of times with Young Eagles and I did it yesterday evening with the wife of a prospective builder. The other neat thing was I set up my Trio to circle the last waypoint so it would take me to the address and execute a nice turn around the location.

It works sometimes..

......but not always, Jamie. I went to the lake and had an address for the party house in the 496. It took us three houses further down. Last week I went to Edisto beach, S.C. and wasn't near the beach house but four houses earlier.

I've upgraded it recently to the version 3.5 software...must be a glitch in the database.

Regards,

Cheeez!

3 or 4 houses should be close enough....... There was times not so long ago you were happy of you dropped your bomb within 3- blocks let alone 3-4 houses!:eek:

DB

......but not always, Jamie. I went to the lake and had an address for the party house in the 496. It took us three houses further down. Last week I went to Edisto beach, S.C. and wasn't near the beach house but four houses earlier.

I've upgraded it recently to the version 3.5 software...must be a glitch in the database.

Regards,
The Garmin does not have a database of every house in the country. What it does is amazing enough.

From observation it appears to allocate possible address numbers along the length of a block. It usually gets pretty close.

Yeah, it uses some funky math for some of the streets. Sometimes the addresses are right on and sometimes they are a few houses off. All in all, it at least gets you in the neighborhood.

With all the tornadoes, weather, flood warnings, hail, ect, it is nice having XM weather in my vehicle! Winds aloft don't help too much though. ;)

496 does do some funny things sometimes.

While in Asheville, NC last year I told my wife we should drive to Mountain Air and check out the runway. (we flew commercial to get to NC).

In Automotive mode I selected the airport as the destination and told it to find the best route.

We ended up driving on a gravel road the turned into the dirt road and then finally a game trail. We were probably only 200 feet from the airport, but there was no way a car to get there the way we were directed.:confused:

My wife still won't let me live that down and objects anytime that I want to use the GPS in the car.:(

Kent

Last edited by a moderator: