NM Doug

Well Known Member
I was excited to see the Navworx ADS-B was TSO'd and am wondering if it might be the way to go for me, as far as EFIS compatibility and the FAA 2020 mandate are concerned.

I have the MGL Odyssey G2 EFIS and a Garmin GTX320A transponder. Here are my initial questions:

1. If I install the Navworx with my current EFIS and transponder, will I have to set the squawk code separately on the MGL and the transponder, if I don't want the Navworx to report my own airplane as conflicting traffic? I seem to remember that this was necessary with some transponder/MGL/Navworx combinations.

2. Which of the Navworx accessories would I need? (The ARINC 429 Option? The UAT Ant., Delta Pop [Experimental/LSA Only]?)

3. What other questions (besides funding!) should I be asking?

Thanks,
Doug

I think that's right about two squawk sets. You could eBay your garmin and get a new Sandia for under $1600. Win win. I'd go for the delta pop ant also.

Doug,

I'm certainly no expert, but I recently installed a Navworx ADS600B in my -8. I have a GTX327 and a Dynon D180.

The GTX327 has a provision in the set up so that it sends the transponder code remotely to another device using an RS-232 interface. I do not believe the 320 has that option, and I did not see anything in the installation manual interconnects that would lead me to believe there is a hardwire option.

The EFIS does not fit into the equation, other than that is where the altitude encoder resides for the GTX327. I'm not familiar with yours, so YMMV.

I recommend you contact Bill Moffit at Navworx for any particulars.

Don

Don is correct about the 327 having RS-232 and the 320 does not.

However, IF the MGL will communicate to the ADS-600 (I do not know MGL hardware) for setting squawk codes (this is different than just displaying data), then you may be able to get by via the use of the "transmit suppression" input on the 320 (I am guessing that one exists)

This will give the following:
Set 320 on code
Set ADS-600 code via MGL
320 and ADS will not transmit on top of each other.
ADS-B displays on MGL

If that plan does not work, selling the 320 for a better xpdr seems to be the path.

You will need a UAT antenna. For 2020, GPS antenna required unless you can feed TSO'd WAAS GPS to the unit from elsewhere. Need for ARINC depends on the MGL. I'm guessing not.

I needed the Arinc429 option to display traffic on my GNS430...a wireless adapter to display traffic and weather on my iPad.

Don

Just to have links available in the same thread (here), here is an earlier thread I started with some questions on MGL and Navworx...from before it was TSO'd: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=93812

Thanks - I understand now why I would need another transponder if I don't want to have to enter the squawk code twice, once on the transponder and a second time on the EFIS. The Garmin GTX-327 would be one possibility, it looks like - it will play well with the MGL and the Navworx.

I don't have a fancy COM radio or a Garmin GPS. Would I need the ARINC (I don't know what that looks like) to connect to the EFIS? From what I can make out in MGL's draft documentation, it doesn't seem so. I'd like to have the EFIS display traffic and weather supplied by the Navworx.

Doug

The ARINC answer needs to come from MGL, or MGL documentation

Don is correct about needing ARINC for traffic display on the Garmin 430.
Again, it is an issue with the connecting unit, not the ADS-600. The ADS-600 sends traffic on both RS 232 "display" output and via ARINC for displays that have to have it sent to them in that format.

I was excited to see the Navworx ADS-B was TSO'd and am wondering if it might be the way to go for me, as far as EFIS compatibility and the FAA 2020 mandate are concerned.

I have the MGL Odyssey G2 EFIS and a Garmin GTX320A transponder. Here are my initial questions:

1. If I install the Navworx with my current EFIS and transponder, will I have to set the squawk code separately on the MGL and the transponder, if I don't want the Navworx to report my own airplane as conflicting traffic? I seem to remember that this was necessary with some transponder/MGL/Navworx combinations.
This depends on how you want to use it. Currently most would want both to send the same code. So just tick the box "slave ADSB<>Transponder" in the setup.

2. Which of the Navworx accessories would I need? (The ARINC 429 Option? The UAT Ant., Delta Pop [Experimental/LSA Only]?)
No need for ARINC, the traffic comes through on the RS232 port.

If you have a TIS or TCAS source you can use the ARINC for that and of course something like a GNS430 or any of its newer flavours.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics