buz

Well Known Member
I have a SL-30 with a GRT HX and Trutrac autopilot and have just started to play with navigating with the VOR. I tuned in a VOR and adjusted the right knob(proper name here?) on the GRT to a radial I wanted to get on. I was on the proper Nav 2 mode, and ENAV. The plane did not really make an attempt to intercept the radial I had set, instead it pretty much flew to the VOR and THEN tracked the radial outbound.
So, how do I get it to intercept a chosen radial and track to the station? And how does it determine where, or the angle of intercept? If you are far away it could get ugly.

Thanks

Sounds like you were pretty close to the VOR already. It should turn onto about a 45deg intercept angle but the fact that it tracked outbound is good. Try it from farther out.

Capflyer,

I was 25-30 miles out with a radial selected that was ~30 degrees difference than a direct to the VOR heading, but it did not intercept and track to radial inbound. It just seemed to fly a very large arc until reaching the station at the proper heading.

Does the AP track a VOR radial when you are on it? If so, does it intercept it when closer to it? Also curious if you have the ARINC module.

It does track a radial and it seems to intercept when close to the radial
it just seems to be at such a shallow angle that your almost at the vor when it gets it
yes it has arinc

Try adjusting the gain in the settings menu. All the gains are in the "General Setup" menu toward the bottom. One of them is a VOR gain. See if this helps.

If I remember right, if you are on the same side of the VOR as the radial you want to intercept and navigate to the VOR, don't you dial in the radial as 180 degrees off. In other words, if you want to intercept the 240 degree radial and fly to the VOR you would dial in 60 degree TO the VOR as the radial to intercept and fly to the VOR on a 60 degree track.

I changed the VOR gain from .5 to 1.0 and it seems to be more aggressive on the intercept. It is fine now.

Thanks all!

I have found that the gain of 1.0 works best for all setting with the exception of heading. I have change my heading gain to 1.85 since I use it for IFR and want the be rather fast reponsive when I am given a new heading.