Before I finished my panel Trio Avionics had come out with a new digital control head that worked with the three wire Navaid servo so I ditched the old analog Navaid control head for an EZ Pilot (cost almost as much for the control head as the entire Navaid system but definitely worth it). I have everything set up and working properly on the ground but still experience a slight problem with my Navaid servo. When I engage the servo in flight I get an initial one-time excursion to the left (left wing down ~20 degrees) before things settle out and start working properly.

Before I started using my EZ Pilot Chuck, at Trio Avionics, suggested I send in my Navaid servo for a tune up. I did that and, for a very reasonable fee, Trio performed some magic that cleaned up the slop in the mechanicals of the servo. However, when they tested the servo they found a common problem in the electronics. In talking with Chuck he mentioned one of the components, a diode if I recall correctly, can sometimes cause the excursion that I experience. Unfortunately he couldn't fix it.

Which brings me to a question I have for the forum....does anyone know who made the Navaid servos and are there any drawings/specs/schematics available for it? Is there anyone or any company that still makes or repairs these servos? If so please let us know, the servos are pretty rugged but they don't last forever and I would like to get rid of the excursion in mine. Thanks

Dean
RV-6A N197DM
Flying since 2008

Before I finished my panel Trio Avionics had come out with a new digital control head that worked with the three wire Navaid servo so I ditched the old analog Navaid control head for an EZ Pilot (cost almost as much for the control head as the entire Navaid system but definitely worth it). I have everything set up and working properly on the ground but still experience a slight problem with my Navaid servo. When I engage the servo in flight I get an initial one-time excursion to the left (left wing down ~20 degrees) before things settle out and start working properly.

Before I started using my EZ Pilot Chuck, at Trio Avionics, suggested I send in my Navaid servo for a tune up. I did that and, for a very reasonable fee, Trio performed some magic that cleaned up the slop in the mechanicals of the servo. However, when they tested the servo they found a common problem in the electronics. In talking with Chuck he mentioned one of the components, a diode if I recall correctly, can sometimes cause the excursion that I experience. Unfortunately he couldn't fix it.

Which brings me to a question I have for the forum....does anyone know who made the Navaid servos and are there any drawings/specs/schematics available for it? Is there anyone or any company that still makes or repairs these servos? If so please let us know, the servos are pretty rugged but they don't last forever and I would like to get rid of the excursion in mine. Thanks

Dean
RV-6A N197DM
Flying since 2008

Dean,

It is my understanding the servos were built in-house at Navaid and no service (other than what you got at Trio) is available.

My 13 year-old Navaid servo on the Trio Pro-Pilot sometimes presents the "bump" when it is engaged....I just hold the stick while pushing the button, it then works fine.