Marvin

I am thinking of retro fitting a Navaid Autopilot in my RV8A. I understand it is not suited for IFR but I am not interested in flyin IFR. I look at this auto pilot as a wing leveler and it is priced right. Question I have what are the pros and cons? Anyone presently have one installed? I would like to hear from you.

Dick Johnson AKA marvin

Navaid

Pro - It does not need GPS input to function well as a wing leveler.

Con - Does not track a heading as well as Trio and I presume Trutrak. Mine would need to be "reset" occasionally when tracking a GPS heading.

I've had them both installed. Preferred the wing leveling function of the Navaid.

Dick,
I have hundreds of hours on a NavAid and Im not sure why you would say its not suited for IFR. It works fine and does not know its in the soup.

Pro- cheap, reliable. Tracks adequate. Long positive history over many years of service

Con. Does not track well, does not have a full rich feature set like you might find in a modern solid state. Don't know how long the company might be around to service it.

Best

navaid Autopiot

anyone have a picutre of their instalation of the Navaid AP that they could post or send direct?

I have one I'll sell on the cheap. Brand new, never used. I installed the servo a few years ago, but since I'm still building, decided to go with the TruTrak ADI Pilot II. So, I took out the servo and put it back in the box.

Make me an offer I can't refuse ... :D

After that, it's on to eBay ...

I fly a fair amount of IFR in the 8A, and I find the Navaid very useful. Although it is not "IFR certified," there is no regulation preventing you from using the instrument. It will not fly a coupled approach, but I use it to fly down the localizer, making small heading adjustments with the "turn" knob. It will track a GPS course, but I find it takes frequent adjustments with the trim button to keep the CDI needle centered. My next airplane will have a Trutrak, but if I were on a tighter budget, I wouldn't hesitate to use a Navaid.

I don't have any pictures handy, but I installed the servo just aft of the right footwell. I made a little bracket out of .032 angle which is riveted to the floor.