Xkuzme1

Well Known Member
Installed in my RV-4 I have a Navaid autopilot. For the most part, I am happy with it. I have it connected to my panel mount GPS ( KLX 135a ). It is an older unit and only has analog L/R outputs (no NMEA). I also have a Narco Nav 122 wich I have on a nav/gps switch so that my Navaid will also follow either the gps or a localizer/VOR radial. It Actually follows the localizer beam really really well. The locilizer capability is the least used but most coveted in case I have to actually have to fly an approach to landing.

I have a Trio EZ autopilot (LCD version) that I was going to install in its place. From what I understand, I cannot have the same type of set up with my GPS and my narco nav 122. The EZ pilot only accepts digital data (no analog L/R stuff). Is this true?

I'm at a standstill. New autopilot, means new GPS and no locilizer.

Anything I am missing or not understanding? Anybody know of a work a round?

Thanks!

X

All of the newer inexpensive autopilots - Trio or TT - accept only digital data. They are expecting a gps. They will work with inexpensive portable gps's, but of course these are not certified for IFR use. Most EFIS boxes will convert the analog signals or the ARINC signals from a VOR or ILS into a digital format that the autopilots can read.
Not the low cost solution you were looking for...

Plenty of cheap used GPS units out there that will drive your autopilot. I use a Ifly 740 to drive my Trio PP and it's great. Geo referenced on approach chart, and complete information at a touch. Cheap fix!

Plenty of cheap used GPS units out there that will drive your autopilot. I use a Ifly 740 to drive my Trio PP and it's great. Geo referenced on approach chart, and complete information at a touch. Cheap fix!

The iFly and Trio are a great combination....but not legal for IFR ops.