RScott

Well Known Member
Got a chance on a super buy on a King nav unit with indicator. My plane will be day-night X-C VFR. I will have a handheld GPS. I have read here about people losing satellites while navigating with GPS, so I ask, should I bother with a VOR?

Been navigating for decades in a plane with no electrical system, navigating with sectional and eyeballs outside the cockpit, but doing X-C pretty much in areas where I know generally where I am.

With GPS, does anyone see any value in VOR any more?

Got a chance on a super buy on a King nav unit with indicator. My plane will be day-night X-C VFR. I will have a handheld GPS. I have read here about people losing satellites while navigating with GPS, so I ask, should I bother with a VOR?

Been navigating for decades in a plane with no electrical system, navigating with sectional and eyeballs outside the cockpit, but doing X-C pretty much in areas where I know generally where I am.

With GPS, does anyone see any value in VOR any more?

No, and No. But if you really want one just wait; In a few years you will be able to get one for $25 off ebay, just like loran. I have been navigating with GPS worldwide using several different systems since 1992. Haven't lost satellites; don't know anyone who has had it happen either.

Last edited:
Hi Richard,

Back when I built my first RV some years ago, I had heard over and over that VOR was going the way of the Dinosaur and GPS was what we'd all be using in 5 years! I was one of those who was sure that VOR's were dead, but I still installed a NAV anyway and over the years of flying the RV am darned glad I've had it for the few times I've needed it.

Anyway, that was 10 years ago and VOR's are still very much alive and well. Sure we all use GPS, but VOR's are still alive and kicking!

If your GPS dies (and they occasionally will lose reception, sun spots, etc..) it's nice to have a VOR there. Also, at our local airport AWOS is broadcast over the VOR...another "nice to have". Additionally, if you intend to file IFR you should have a certified GPS unit (not just a handheld...although for en-route sometimes people get by).

Anyway, my advice is for VFR flight it's not mandatory, but if I were building an IFR bird I'd still install one.

Heck....ADSB is supposed to be the next "wave of the future". Anyone want to bet on the timeline of that?

Just my 2 cents as usual.

Cheers,
Stein

Comm #2

If you can buy it for not much more than a good #2 Comm radio (you did say it was a really good deal, didn't you...:)...)

Then I say go for it... just think of it as an extra Comm with the Nav thrown in...

gil A

Not sure from you orginal post if it's a Nav/Com or just a Nav... if it's the second, forget it...:)

Last edited:
.......With GPS, does anyone see any value in VOR any more?
I do. I learned to fly using VOR, but that is not the reason I value it. My first airplane was VOR equipped and I liked to use it for cross checking my position even though over time most navigation chores were eventually relegated to loran and then GPS technology, but that is not the reason either. I am comfortable with VOR, nothing more. When I built the -6A, I installed a VOR head to work alongside the Garmin 430. With the flip of a switch the GI-106A can direct you to either the tuned in VOR station or the selected GPS waypoint. Neat stuff. The new project has VOR capability but for other desirable reasons. With the SL-30 nav/com coupled to the EFIS, it allows the Dynon to display a "HSI" page which is a pretty neat trick. I'll fly and use VOR to compliment the onboard GPS capability for no more reason than redundancy as long as the national VOR system is operational.

KILL THE VOR

VFR deluxe GPS.

If you want VOR back up get a nice handheld transceiver COM with NAV. The little rubber ducky does OK.

You can make a nice little DIY hidden dipole balanced VOR antenna in the cowl or canopy to connect to for a few bucks. If you want to know how to make one write me. Bottom line VOR for what? Well sometimes there is TWEBS information and also sometimes FSS simplex communication, transmit on COM listen to VOR, but how much do you need that?

Count me in for at least one NAV radio - even in a VFR airplane.

There have been countless times that I've needed to contact the FSS for Weather Updates, Opening Flight Plans, Updating Flight Plans, and checking Notams. Several of those times, I'm transmitting on a COMM and listening on a VOR.

Not to mention, I (almost) alway keep a VOR dialed in as a reference NavAid. Just to track my progress and to always have a known position.

So count me in for a NAV radio. I'm willing to leave the ground without one, but I want one in my airplane.

Phil

"Kill the VOR"

I second that motion!

GPS outages are rare, and usually of short duration. And it's not as if VOR's never went on the blink! VOR's are outdated technology, and only good for mental exercises such as cross-checking, when bored. :D I've done it too. ;) VOR will be going the way of the ADF.............soon!

The future is the highly accurate GPS combined with computer generated 3D topography database information; including IFR approach overlays. Something VOR's can't even comprehend!

L.Adamson

Let's be accurate about GPS "outages"

Do you mean that they lose GPS positioning capability, lose RAIM ability or individual satellite outages?

I am assuming that the loss of even 2-D capability is so rare as to be a non-issue.

Cheap insurnace

Better to have it than not. Last flight I took from M16 to DTN, lost GPS signal twice, once for about 10 minutes, the other for 2 or 3 minutes. I always keep one it tuned. First loss and I thought my GPS had gone south even though I was heading west. Also like to set up for a VOR or ILS approach even on a VFR flight.

Webb
RV7A (almost there)
N32WW