avi8tor50

Well Known Member
Getting ready to order by NAVs and stobes. Wanting LED's. Too incompetent and too lazy to make the board and solder the LED's from scratch. Have looked at CreativAir but they don't come soldered. Like Jeff's work but out of my price range.
Has anyone used GS Air's combo LED/strobe?

Peter K
9A QB

I had the GS-Air lights on my PulsarXP. They were pretty good, although I don't think they are as bright as the Lumiled LEDs that are used by some folks who roll their own. The only problem I had with the GS Air setup was that the plastic covers turned a hazy-yellow after being in the sun for a year. I would think that a higher quality plastic/plexi wouldn't do that. But they were a decent setup for the money.

As far as building your own, it's pretty easy and very inexpensive. Mirrored plexi on eBay was about $12, Lumileds were about $25. The help I got from someone else on this board for a wiring diagram was invaluable (I won't name him unless he approves). Another local builder and I hooked them up to a 12V DC power supply and they are BRIGHT. I'm only using 4 LEDS per side. The hardest part was shaping the mirrored plexi to fit my wingtips.

Go to your local auto store and buy the 1157 replacement lamp made using LED's. I have used 2 per side and they are bright. The Tower says they are very good on a 5 mile final. You can get them is red and green.

I'm installing a set of position light/strobe combos from Rollison Aircraft Company. They call them "Skybright Strobes & Lights." I haven't flown the aircraft yet to give you a real Pirep, but I like the fact that they look more traditional than some of the LED setups.

The Link: http://www.airplanegear.com/skybright.htm

Rod Woodard
Loveland, Colorado (KFNL)
Midget Mustang--@ the Paint Shop
RV-8 #81964 holding @ the Wings

Soldered etc

avi8tor50 said:
Getting ready to order by NAVs and stobes. Wanting LED's. Too incompetent and too lazy to make the board and solder the LED's from scratch. Have looked at CreativAir but they don't come soldered. Like Jeff's work but out of my price range.

Peter K
9A QB
These come soldered and ready to fit/install:
http://www.killacycle.com/Lights.htm

Look at CreativAir Again

avi8tor50 said:

Peter K
9A QB

Peter, I used CreativAir and they have a "soldered" or "unsoldered" option, which I used. These are the same lights as directed to (with the "kilocycle" URL) elsewhere in this thread). Look again at CreativAir.

Roll your own

Sonny,

Feel free to post the info I sent you - I don't have it available right now. No magic in the schematics. They are not as effcient as some of the LED drivers you can buy, but the resistors are cheap and the lights are plenty bright. I have not had any heat issues.

Thanks Pete. Peter K, if you'd like a copy of the schematics, send me an e-mail and I'll shoot them over to you.

Sunday afternoon I was talking with someone that had been to Oshkosh and they said that Whelen already has some LED lights that look like the old style. I think this person is selling the old ones to get the new ones. Same footprint from what I was told.

Please don't ask how much they cost. I don't have a clue. :confused:

Updated

I'm from GS-Air and we have updated the lens material to a more UV resistance and higher heat resistance. I will gladly send you a free set of lenses to replace your yellowed one's. Please just send me a e-mail with your info. Thanks

Hi Apex,
I appreciate that very much...but I just sold the Pulsar a little over a month ago. I told the buyer that he could probably buy a set from GS-Air for less than $10, so if he ever decides to change them out, he'll call you. Thanks again.