hamblin10

Does anybody understand why Vans would not want you to apply sealant to the areas I circled in red? They seal the entire nav light standoff fairing but where rainwater might seep in. Thanks!

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    92.3 KB · Views: 139
Does anybody understand why Vans would not want you to apply sealant to the areas I circled in red? They seal the entire nav light standoff fairing but where rainwater might seep in. Thanks!

I believe that is the area that the flox was applied to - a sealant between the tip rib and the flox there would affect the fit. That said - I had an issue with the light bracket blocking one of the rivet holes - Vans sent me a picture of one of the SLSAs they were building and it had a bead of sealant on top of that joint and the middle 4 rivets omitted.

(My real guess is that they did not do the flox at all - just filled the gap with the sealant & left the 4 middle rivets along the top out.)
Since I had already done the flox I just smeared sealant along the top after I riveted the fairing on.

I think I used 3M 4200 at that spot. I ran out of proseal and wanted something quick to put on there.