ron sterba

Well Known Member
Wiring my nav lights have brought the three 4-wire harnesses to a central point under the right seat and then want one set of feed wires up to switches on panel.
What did use? Molex connectors, trailer plug connectors,round pin plug connectors like out board motor or terminal strip with screws. Have you found one better that the other?

Ron in Oregon

I'm just about at that point in my build, and I'm going to go with terminal strips mounted just behind the spar. I've got some on order from SteinAir, and some jumper strips too if any particular terminal gets too crowded.

I used a terminal strip bonded to the lower fuselage skin between seat ribs.

IMG_3886-M.jpg

I bought these terminal strips from McMaster-Carr, along with some jumpers.

I really like d-Sub (computer style) connectors. The good ones have gold plated terminals for very high reliability, they're very compact, relatively light weight, relatively inexpensive, etc etc. Each pin can handle around 5 amps, and you can parallel multiple pins with 'pigtails' to increase current capacity (unlikely to need it if using LED lighting). If a disconnect is ever needed, release two screws & unplug. When reconnecting, the wires won't get mixed up since they're fixed in the right locations in the connectors. Available in 9 pin,15,25,37, and, IIRC, somewhere around 50 pins, with standard density pins.

Charlie