I am installing a Dynon D100 in my RV6.

I was lead to believe that I could display nav information from my king KX165 on the D100 using the HS34

I have now found out that the Dynon D100 will not accept input from any Nav radio that does not have AIRINC 429 output and have been told that I would have to upgrade my nav radio to a garmin SL30.

My question is does anyone have a list of nav radios that will work with the Dynon D100?

Is there an economical converter that will convert the KX165 output to AIRINC 429?

Thanks in advance. Tom

Last edited:
The SL30 does not have ARINC 429 but it will work with the D100 over serial.

The 430/530/480/430w/530w/650/750 all have ARINC and require the HS34 to work with the D100.

Dynon had said for years that the King radios will not work with their system.

I thought I did my homework pretty well before I purchased the D100 and HS34.

There does not seem to be a lot of good information out there.

From the Dynon web site HS34 frequently asked questions page:
"Any device that can connect to a conventional nav head should work with the HS34"

From an Avionics dealer's web site; "The HS34 overcomes these restraints by adding ARINC-429, analog, and serial interfaces to cover many popular radios"

Hopefully this thread will help the next guy.

Has anyone has successfully connected a Nav radio to the D100 or HS34 beside the Garmins listed?

The issue is that when we released the HS34 6 years ago we hoped it would work with a lot of analog radios, but it turns out they all seem to be enough different that it doesn't really work with any of them. We did our best to scrub our sales literature of this, but places like the wiki (which the public can edit) got missed. It's hard to get all that information off the web. Sorry.

If you search google for "hs34 kx165" you'll get a lot of links all telling you it won't work.

Really, only the modern Garmins work. No other company has stepped up in the last decade and made a Nav radio that talks digitally.

And just so everyone is clear, we've talked to this customer and will happily refund his purchase if he wants to go that way.