flyingbeaver26

Fellas,
I'm finally to the point where I have wired all my antennas except for the Archer wingtip nav antenna. For all my wing-to-fuse electrical connections I am putting in connectors so that the wing could be removed in the future without severing cables. I'm debating about putting in a male-female BNC connection at the wing root for the wingtip mounted nave antenna. How much DB loss can I expect from this type of junction point? Should I just route it all the way onto the panel without a junction here? If I were to add this junction point, it would live inside the fuse to make sure it is protected from the elements. I'd like to hear your advice on the matter.
Thanks,
Brad Vier
RV-8 finish kit
Austin, TX

A well made...

...BNC connector has a 0.2 dB loss at 3 GHz.

I can't even find a number at our VHF nav frequencies, but it will be much less.

As long as your connectors are good quality ones and correctly assembled, you wan't even detect a loss in performance....:)

Tyco BNC Specs...

http://catalog.tycoelectronics.com/catalog/cinf/en/c/10003/205?BML=10576,17635,17656&RQS=C~10003^M~FEAT^BML~10576,17635,17656

For comparison, the loss (at nav freq) in 15 feet of RG-400 co-ax is around 0.7 dB, and no-one worries about a nav cable that is this length.

Last edited:
One other thing to consider...

Gil is correct, virtually no loss at VHF frequencies if properly installed? at least at first. When I was a little younger and in the AF I worked on F-4s. Coax connectors get dirty vibrate loose and corrode over time. Almost all wiring failures I have fixed were a result of chafing as a result of improperly secured wire or connectors falling apart. I haven?t made it that far yet but my plan is to leave a little slack at one end. If I need to remove the wing I will cut the wire and add the connector when I put the wing back on (or maybe just use a new piece of wire). Wire is cheap and light; connectors are expensive and heavy.

Good luck,

Bill Finnell
RV-8 Wing
Tucson, AZ

Not if it's...

Gil is correct, virtually no loss at VHF frequencies if properly installed? at least at first. ....
Wire is cheap and light;
connectors are expensive and heavy.
Bill Finnell
RV-8 Wing
Tucson, AZ

...RG-400 co-ax...:)