dustman

Well Known Member
Does anyone kknow of any research or pratical applications of natural gas being used in aircraft for fuel?

I work in that world, it's not gonna happen for aircraft. The energy density is too low and the storage weights/pressures are too high.

PROPANE!! Propane is 4.2# per gallon, no road taxes, less than 1/2 the price of 100LL and has an octane rating of over 100. Burns clean. Oil stays clean. No carbon build up on pistons, plugs or valve stems. No fuel pump needed.

The main problem is the 250psi. working pressure tanks needed.

COOKING WITH PROPANE

Just more thoughts from a idle mind. To get the weight down on propane fuel tanks could carbon fiber be used? It would be light weight and strong no idea, if the carbbon fiber and propane are compatable. On the issue of pressure the air tank on my sons air gun is pretty darn high and he was pretty rough with it and it never blew up with him perhaps something of similiar construction might work.

Its all about the carbon

You can get a rough estimate of the energy per gallon by comparing the carbon atom ratios of various fuels. Propane is C3H8 and gasoline is C8H18. This means youll get a little less than half of the energy out of a gallon of propane than you would gasoline. This is also why cars get better mpg on diesel C8H18 vs C12H26. Alas there is no free lunch.

As a backup in an emergency in case you run out of gas you can always connect the filler hose to your rear gas expansion valve and provide enough gas for landing. Just make sure you had your beans before departure.:D

PROPANE!! Propane is 4.2# per gallon, no road taxes, less than 1/2 the price of 100LL and has an octane rating of over 100. Burns clean. Oil stays clean. No carbon build up on pistons, plugs or valve stems. No fuel pump needed.

The main problem is the 250psi. working pressure tanks needed.

+1

Gasman knows his gas!

I do know 2 guys that flew a seabee from Boston to Wyoming in the winter. They Stopped in Ohio and bought propane heaters for the airplane and stayed toasty all the way home. You can go through a lot of propane bottles at 84 mph.

Compressed Natural gas tanks are usually run at 3600psi. Yes, carbon fiber is used. The equivalent of a 40 gallon 100LL tank would be about 25 inches in diameter and at least 45 or so inches long. Weight would be, oh I don't know, heavy as ***. Cost would be a minimum of $5K. Then you would have to worry about the rest of the fuel system and the fact that you need a serious pressure regulator, then serious fuel heater. It is interesting, but far from trivial. I am familiar with the systems and I am not the least bit interested, but that's just me...

Tim

Natural gas conversion

Maybe those who know more can help me understand better. I thought the Air Force was certifying all their planes to run on Jet A and Diesel fuel converted from Natural Gas feedstock. For you who know what is the real story? Can't we derive Jet A and Diesel from Natural gas using the Fischer–Tropsch process? If this is true we may find av gas, or at least jet a/diesel becoming really cheap.

Beats batteries

Natural gas, even with its handicaps, would beat the heck out of powering an aircraft with energy stored in batteries. Yet, there is an enormous amount of media hoopla associated with electric aircraft. Witness every EAA issue.

But, even I, a natural gas producer, acknowlege that neither are currently practical for the RV-type mission.

Natural gas, even with its handicaps, would beat the heck out of powering an aircraft with energy stored in batteries. Yet, there is an enormous amount of media hoopla associated with electric aircraft. Witness every EAA issue.

But, even I, a natural gas producer, acknowlege that neither are currently practical for the RV-type mission.

I enjoy my 6A for the sheer joy of the way it handles. It is a fun aircraft to fly. I live in an area that has a lot to look at as you take an evening flight. I have a weekend destination that is less than an hour away. My RV mission seems to be 90% under one hour flights. An electric powered RV with it's vibration free, noise free and one moving part electric motor that would cost far less to operate.

This would be my second aircraft. And it would be an RV3.

Many people build fast airplanes to travel to far away places. They load the plane up with panels that cost more than the airframe and when finished, realize that those far away trips may only happen a couple timed a year.
If you build a fun to fly airplane, like a light RV, you might fly it for the fun of flying. And that could be an hour in the evening.

Electricity is the next power source for recreational aircraft.