ksauce

Well Known Member
Patron
I just happened across an outstanding NASA report that approaches checklist usage from a human factors point of view. Well written and researched, it draws mostly from the airlines; however, you might find something useful for your own cockpit. I did. You can download the pdf here.

Not sure what you mean Bob, but I think there is a lot of value in the document, whether we're a crew of 2 or more, or a crew of uno.

It may be geared towards the airline environment, but the discussion of checklist design philosophy (flow patterns followed by checklists, ordering of critical checklist items, etc.) and the execution of checklists (including common pitfalls) has a lot of merit.

FWIW, I helped design flows and checklists for a corporate flight department I flew for a while ago (King Air and Citation aircraft), and we utilized a lot of these concepts in the design. We've also been through some major revisions at my current airline as well, and each move has been very logical and a positive change (hard to believe as that may be!! ;)).

I then used a similar thought process in the design of my RV checklist...actually I designed my panel layout around simple flows to a large degree (as best I could during a panel upgrade).

There's a lot of verbiage to wade through, but some real good info in there...and a surprising underlying concept, at least IMHO, is keepin' it simple!

Cheers,
Bob

I'm sure you are both right

I admit to skimming after a while - it wore me down. I kept seeing concepts from a complex environment that relate to the document. In general, I relate my RV-6A flying more toward the requirements of driving a car than flying a complex aircraft that requires a crew or a checklist for every single operation. When I race I prepare a detailed kneeboard checklist for every critical point on the course, frequencies altitudes, outbound headings from turns, broadcast requirements, etc. but my fuel tank switching and other routine operations that are part of my operating procedures are not guided by checklists. If I were still working I would review the requirements and make very sure that they were complied with precisely but I do not believe that is needed or efficient in my current environment.

Bob Axsom

At the most basic level, I learned that I've been using checklists incorrectly since I started flight training. While I was taught to use checklists as a private pilot I was never taught HOW to use checklists. I have always looked at them as a "do list." For some reason, it never occurred to me to use the checklist as a redundant backup to ensure I had configured the plane correctly. Apparently the airlines (and I imagine many of RVers) have been using this approach for years. While I might be a crew of one, this approach does afford me a form of redundancy.

Honestly, I'm a low time pilot; I'm still nervous every single time I go flying for the duration of flight. Any tool I can use to make myself safer is worth the effort. Ultimately, this is a personal choice; however, I am glad to see the movement toward a safety oriented culture among RVers. We spend a lot of time talking about extracting more speed from our planes and the latest and greatest EFIS. I hope that safety discussions will become as popular as the "sexy" topics. I encourage others to share their thoughts and discoveries on safe flight.

Checklists

At the most basic level, I learned that I've been using checklists incorrectly since I started flight training. While I was taught to use checklists as a private pilot I was never taught HOW to use checklists. I have always looked at them as a "do list." For some reason, it never occurred to me to use the checklist as a redundant backup to ensure I had configured the plane correctly. Apparently the airlines (and I imagine many of RVers) have been using this approach for years. While I might be a crew of one, this approach does afford me a form of redundancy.

Congratulations Kevin, you broke the code. The underlying fact is that the human mind hates repetitious tasks and will leave things out even though you have committed it to memory and done it many times. Completing a "flow" of tasks, then running a checklist is the proven way to avoid overlooking something important. I always cringe when someone tells a story of a full-flap takeoff or unlatched canopy. These things can be caught easily in a few seconds by using a checklist. The only issue is that we need to construct our own because of the endless combinations of equipment and cockpit layout in the experimental world. Not a problem since the document doesn't have to be anointed by the FAA and changes can be made easily. I'm on version 5 in my '8'. Interestingly, every edit has eliminated something as not important or redundant, not added items.

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAA FAAST Team Member
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA