I was lucky (or unlucky) to get to guard the shuttle when it was being sent back to Fl back in the early 90's. The shuttle would stop lots of times at Biggs Army Airfield where I was stationed. We were tasked with guarding the beast while the crew took a break or waited out weather.

It is funny to see 12 soldiers standing around the shuttle with M-16's. The thing that made it so funny, we were not issued any ammunition, just an empty clip! :eek: I guess we could have clubed the would be attackers of the shuttle with our weapons :D

I have some great close up pictures somewhere I should dig up.

I hadn't noticed it yesterday, but there's a third ship in the Space Shuttle entourage... a T-38 following behind. So the DC-9 is out front as a weather scout; I guess the -38 (NASA902) follows behind to see if any big parts have fallen off? Hehehe.

Here's a list from FlightAware of the Shuttle gaggle.
http://flightaware.com/live/findflight/KOFF/KHOP

NASA 902 originated out of Houston yesterday and according to flightaware is headed back there again today. Matter of fact, he's airborne now, passing into Louisiana as I type.

nasa902kr7.png

Last edited:
Missed it

tobinbasford said:
NASA 902 originated out of Houston yesterday and according to flightaware is headed back there again today. Matter of fact, he's airborne now, passing into Louisiana as I type.

nasa902kr7.png

I saw this post about ten minutes too late! I'm at the next road intersection it's about to fly over Tobin's screen capture above.