olyolson

Well Known Member
Friend
I have a fully functioning Narco 810 but I need a second radio. I lead formations around here in the St Louis area and really need to be able to monitor approach control while simultaneously using the Air to Air frequency. I already have a decent intercom so I don't need the PS Engineering radios, although I would love to have Bluetooth for music. Flying a -4 means I do not have the panel space for an additional radio.

Just started looking for a replacement for the 810 so don't know what's out there yet. Ideally I would like to use my primary frequency while monitoring the standby. Also don't want to do a massive wiring job. I also realize that the 810 rack may not be compatible with most of the radios on the market. I do have some avionics help from the smart guys around here so that helps.

Any ideas on a radio that might work? Trying to keep it under $2000.

Thanks,
Oly

It sort of depends on whether you want something similarly sized or not. Pretty much nothing out there will work with your rack, so a complete replacement is in order. that said, it's not too many wires...it'll likely take you longer to do the physical rack installation than the wiring change.

If you want something similarly sized to the 810, the Garmin GTR-225 is similar (though not exact) and less than $2K. If you can use something smaller than the Garmin GTR-200 is just as good of a radio (though not certified) and comes in just under $1200. It's still radio stack width, but not as tall. Also the ICOM 210 is an option, but no longer as popular as the Garmin.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
Stein

Flightline 760

I just installed a Flightline 760 in my -4 about a year ago, and I am very impressed with it. They run about $700.00 at most places. It mounts in a 2 1/4 instrument hole, and weighs nothing. I am using its built in intercom, and its fine for what I do. Cheap enough to buy 2 and have a back up if need. Feedback from others during air/air ..sounds loud and clear.