ScottSchmidt

Well Known Member
With all the game shows that are coming on TV, just thought we have one of our own. I'll post a picture and you guys name the plane. If you know some interesting history of the plane post that too!

OK, here is the first one. Good, luck. First one is worth 1500 points.

146017896-L.jpg

ScottSchmidt said:
With all the game shows that are coming on TV, just thought we have one of our own. I'll post a picture and you guys name the plane. If you know some interesting history of the plane post that too!

OK, here is the first one. Good, luck. First one is worth 1500 points.

146017896-L.jpg
The Edward G. Budd Manufacturing Company of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, the manufacturer of munitions and railroad rolling stock, approached the U.S. Navy (USN) with a proposal to build a twin-engined cargo aircraft comparable to the Douglas R4D, q.v., but made of stainless steel. The USN accepted the proposal and placed an order for 200 RB-1's in August 1942; the U.S. Army Air Forces (USAAF) also became interested and placed an order for 600 aircraft, designated C-93A-BU...

http://www.microworks.net/pacific/aviation/rb_conestoga.htm

NO, No---------you guys told what the plane is, he wanted the name.

It is Ralph.

Did I win????

Mike

P.S., is this at Pima ??

Last edited:
You guys are all wrong......It's name is "SUE"!
Johnny Cash would have guessed.

Round 2

You are all winners on that one, 1500 points to everyone who replied but Low n Slow gets an additional 1500 points because of the research he did. The interesting thing about that aircraft was that it was made of stainless steel.

Yes, it is from Pima.

I thought that would take a little longer but should have known better. Vansairforce members are the smarterest.

OK try this one.

35820201-L.jpg

Mark Burns said:
Caproni Ca 20

Mark

Impressive. I took that shot at the museum of flight a couple of years ago. Here is some info on it from their website.

The World's First Fighter Plane
The Caproni Ca 20 was an aircraft ahead of its time in design, purpose, and armament. In early 1914, before World War I, this speedy single-seat monoplane was built with a forward-facing machine gun mounted above the propeller arc. Considered the world's first fighter plane, the Ca 20's pilot could aim the overhead machine gun at enemy aircraft via a false sight at eye level.
The Ca 20 was an exceptional fighter, yet the Italian military wanted the Caproni Company to produce heavy bombers. This single Ca 20 is the only one ever produced. The plane was stored by the Caproni family in Italy for over 85 years before it was acquired by the Museum of Flight in 1999.

Speedy Monoplane in a Biplane World
Built as a derivative of the Caproni Ca 18 reconnaissance airplane, the Ca 20 incorporated a larger engine covered by a streamlined cowling, shorter wings, and a machine gun as an offensive weapon.

Gianni Caproni (1886-1957)?The Count Who Built Planes
Gianni Caproni designed his first airplane, the Ca 1, in 1910?only 7 years after the Wright brothers' famous flight. During World War One, Caproni's company created a famous line of heavy bombers, including the Caproni Ca 3, versions of which were produced in the United States, England, and France, as well as in Italy. After the war, the growing Caproni Aircraft Company switched from bombers to civilian passenger? and transport aircraft.

Between airplane designs, Gianni Caproni devised and patented many components, including armored and variable-pitch airscrews (propellers), an anemometer (wind gauge), an engine compressor, steerable undercarriages, and a machine gun driven by centrifugal force. Caproni was awarded the title Count of Taliedo by the King of Italy in 1940 and remained active in his company until his death in 1957.

Never Restored?and It Shows!
The Caproni Ca 20 may not be as crisp, clean, and pretty as the day when it was rolled from the workshop, but that's part of its beauty. Unlike most aircraft in museum collections, this plane is almost entirely original. It wears the covering applied in 1914, and today that battered covering can be seen with all of the scars and stains of almost a century of life.

ScottSchmidt said:
You are all winners on that one, 1500 points to everyone who replied but Low n Slow gets an additional 1500 points because of the research he did. The interesting thing about that aircraft was that it was made of stainless steel.

Yes, it is from Pima.

I thought that would take a little longer but should have known better. Vansairforce members are the smarterest.

OK try this one.

35820201-L.jpg

Beats me. If Willy Wonka and Homer Simpson designed a plane I think that thing is what you'd get. Boy, talk about experimental!

ScottSchmidt said:
Impressive. I took that shot at the museum of flight a couple of years ago. Here is some info on it from their website.

Not impressive really.
I just right clicked on the photo you posted and looked at its properties. That took me right to your web site where I found photos of your museum visit!

I had fun though!

Mark

Last edited:
Name that Caproni

Wasn't it a Caproni biplane that held the absolute altitude record for normally aspirated IC reciip aircraft? I seem to recall a figure of around 50,000 feet and that a pressure suit, homebuilt, was used. Sound familiar? Bill

My apologies

Mark Burns said:
Not impressive really.
I just right clicked on the photo you posted and looked at its properties. That took me right to your web site where I found photos of your museum visit!

I had fun though!

Mark

Scott,

I hope I wasn?t too far out of line by finding the Caproni the way I did :confused:

I just got caught up in wanting to find out what it was.

After re-reading your initial post it appears that you want people to respond only if they ?know? what it is.
I mean ?already? know ? without trying to research it.

I hope you continue with this thread. I always enjoy learning about airplanes!

Mark

jsherblon said:
Here's a picture of the RB-1 Conestoga in flying condition.

Budd also made an amphib, the Budd BB-1 Pioneer. It was intended to have a wire mesh fabric covering.

The Budd Amphib may still be on outdoor display in Philadelphia at the Franklin Musuem. Not sure but I saw it there about ten years ago.

Bill Dicus said:
Wasn't it a Caproni biplane that held the absolute altitude record for normally aspirated IC reciip aircraft? I seem to recall a figure of around 50,000 feet and that a pressure suit, homebuilt, was used. Sound familiar? Bill
The Caproni CA 161 set a record at over 56,000 ft. The engine was almost certainly supercharged, not normally aspirated. The ambient pressure at 56,000 ft is only about 2.5 inch of HG, so very little power would be produced unless the engine was supercharged in some way, or nitrous oxide was used.

The Grob Strato 2C apparently got up to over 60,000 ft powered by two TSIO-550L engines with very special turbo-chargers. As I understand it, they created the turbochargers using the HP compressor and turbine from a PW100 series turbo-prop engine. They effectively replaced the turbine engine's combustion chamber with the piston engine. I did a couple of projects with a flight test engineer who had previously flown on the Strato 2C.

Mark Burns said:
Scott,

I just got caught up in wanting to find out what it was.

After re-reading your initial post it appears that you want people to respond only if they ?know? what it is.
I mean ?already? know ? without trying to research it.

I hope you continue with this thread. I always enjoy learning about airplanes!

Mark

No problem. There are no rules. Just thought it would be fun to post interesting aircraft so we all can stay sharp.

Round 4

You got round 3. Here is round 4.
This is a two part question. What is this aircraft and why is it famous?

147460247-L.jpg

Navy-Curtiss NC-4 Flying Boat

The NC-4, a United States Navy flying boat constructed in 1918 by the Glenn Curtiss Company, was the first aircraft ever to complete a successful flight across the Atlantic Ocean.

pg101uc5.jpg

NC-4 departs Trepassey Bay, Newfoundland for the first flight to Europe. Photo? L. D. Sheely.

Last edited:
painless said:
Ok Guys, name this plane:

265akc0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Culver V, but I cheated. I thought it was a Culver V, but you didn't obscure the N number. Google, you know.

Ok, I've got one

Shortly after I moved to Carlsbad, in about 1981, I noticed this exact airplane based on a farm near Loving, New Mexico, at a short dirt strip.

A few years later the airplane turned up in the backyard of my next door neighbor in Carlsbad, where it remained for a number of years.

A few years later it was displayed atop a business in Carlsbad, NM.

My understanding is that it is now near Lakewood, NM.

What is it?

I'm sorry I had to steal this from a website, to maintain the mystery. In all those years I never took a picture of the airplane. I will link to the website when necessary.

Mystery.jpg

Wrong Guys. Sort of a late April Fools joke. This is an original design homebuilt called a Stewart 265. You are correct tho in that it is Culver-esque.

Don Stewart, the designer, had it at OSH one year and had a ball with guys coming up to him and saying "I took my training in that airplane back in '34..."

painless said:
Wrong Guys. Sort of a late April Fools joke. This is an original design homebuilt called a Stewart 265. You are correct tho in that it is Culver-esque.

Don Stewart, the designer, had it at OSH one year and had a ball with guys coming up to him and saying "I took my training in that airplane back in '34..."
Oh, man! I was in too big a hurry. Noting the Culveresque lines and looking up the N number and seeing that it was registered as a (builder's name) V, of course I should have know it was a homebuilt, but it didn't register. But it was certainly a homebuilt that was an homage to Culver.

Mark Burns said:
So I did a little research for an Apache prototype.

And found it. It's a Twin Stinson.

It was the basis for the Piper Apache.

Mark
Excellent, that is close enough for me. It is actually a one-of-a-kind variant called the Pierce-Arrow U2 as the real Twin Stinson had a double tail. One-of-a-kinds don't count in this contest, so you win. The airplane is what it looks like it should be.

http://personalpages.tdstelme.net/~westin/ac-0.htm

Another one

OK guys... here's my entry.... Excuse the grey-out of the N-numbers... :)

mystery-1.JPG

A few hints...
I saw it fly in S. Calif.
VERY famous designer & well known racer involved...

gil in Tucson

Last edited:
az_gila said:
I saw in fly in S. Calif.
Pretty sure I passed this puppy in the air the other day over the glider port a few miles south of El Mirage. Forward swept wings, motorglider. Couldn't tell you what type it is...

Probably not....

dan said:
Pretty sure I passed this puppy in the air the other day over the glider port a few miles south of El Mirage. Forward swept wings, motorglider. Couldn't tell you what type it is...

Dan.. I didn't put a time frame down... it was the late 70's.... :)

Another hint - metal construction....

You probably saw a glass Grob G-109 motorglider... similar and lots in the US...

http://www.grob-aerospace.net/index.php?id=173

Grob%20Werke%20-%20G109.jpg

Good place to see gliders over Crystal or Krey Field though... :)

The motorglider is a Ryan, I disremember the number. As for the OTW I think
Steve McQueen had one at one time, did he have this Ryan too?

H

az_gila said:
OK guys... here's my entry.... Excuse the grey-out of the N-numbers... :)

mystery-1.JPG

A few hints...
I saw it fly in S. Calif.
VERY famous designer & well known racer involved...

gil in Tucson

Fornie (Sp?) RF-4 ?

Last edited:
A winner...

Howie said:
The motorglider is a Ryan, I disremember the number. As for the OTW I think
Steve McQueen had one at one time, did he have this Ryan too?

H

Howie got it right... It's a Ryan ST 100 Cloudster. I saw it fly with Ray Cote piloting, and an elder Ryan passenger, at Elsinore in the late 70's

Last design by Claude Ryan, with help from Ray Cote - multiple time Reno Formula class winner, and help from Pazmany, designer of the PL-2 and PL-4 homebuilts....

Claude Ryan

Ray Cote's "Shoestring" - Most winning Formula Racer

Pazmany

Good going Howie....

The plane seems to be still owned by the corporation that developed it...

gil in Tucson

Nope...

rvbuilder2002 said:
Fornie (Sp?) RF-4 ?

Scott see previous post, It's a Ryan (Ryson) ST-1000 Cloudster.

It's like a RF-4, but much larger, and metal, not wood construction like the RF-4.

gil in Tucson