8CW

Well Known Member
Does anyone know what labelmaker may have produced the these heatshrink labels, and also what the heatshrink may be called. These are about the best looking labels I have seen. It is the fourth picture down. I have tried to find contact information for "Jim" on his website, but can't find any. Thanks!

http://home.comcast.net/~jwdweb2/Wiring2/wiring2.html

It's a Kroy

Check the Kroy website. They make a variety of printers that print on heat shrink. Not real cheap but works great.

jim

K-Sun

Does anyone know what labelmaker may have produced the these heatshrink labels, and also what the heatshrink may be called. These are about the best looking labels I have seen. It is the fourth picture down. I have tried to find contact information for "Jim" on his website, but can't find any. Thanks!

http://home.comcast.net/~jwdweb2/Wiring2/wiring2.html

I did not look at the picture, but I used a K-Sun LabelShop2001xlst to do all my wire labels.

I used a Brady

I used a Brady labeler but the cartridge of shrink tube was expensive. Later I found the good old permanent markers we use when laying out the aluminum when written on a piece of regular heat shrink tubing will shrink down and is very durable. I use white heat shrink that I bought from Digikey, or Radio Shack or Fry's electronics. Write the wire name, slip it over the wire, and shrink it.
Hope this helps,
Paul
pczar3
N694BP reserved

I'm pretty sure they're heat shrink labels from Dymo RhinoPro 5000. That's what I use and mine look identical.

Guy

I'm pretty sure they're heat shrink labels from Dymo RhinoPro 5000. That's what I use and mine look identical.

Guy
Guy,

Oh Yea! That sounds like the tool I could REALLY use at this point. Where is a good place to get a Dymo RhinoPro 5000 and the suitable heat shrink required? Also for wires already run and hooked up, is there a suitable method to wrap labels around the wire?

Rhino Pro

I agree. These appear to be printed on a Rhino Pro. I bought mine on Amazon.com.
The heat shrink works very well and comes in a few different sizes. A bit costly but well worth the money as the end result looks extremely professional.
Thanks
:D

Guy,

Oh Yea! That sounds like the tool I could REALLY use at this point. Where is a good place to get a Dymo RhinoPro 5000 and the suitable heat shrink required? Also for wires already run and hooked up, is there a suitable method to wrap labels around the wire?

There is a suitable method to wrap labels around the wire. The RhinoPro comes comes with (and has available) very flexible vinyl labels just for wiring. I use the heatshrink tube at the ground and fuse block ends (the heatshrink is expensive) and then use yellow lables wrapped around the wire about every 5 feet along its length. I started with white labels, but they're too hard to see on the white wire. The labeler has settings for wire all the way from 22AWG to TV Coax. You just tell it the wire size and it spits out the labels.

I got mine for Christmas last year, the Mrs. says it came from http://www.cableorganizer.com. Don't bother with an AC adapter, mine has been running on the same set of batteries for 363 days now.

Cheers,
Guy

Why use a 5000? Seems like a RhinoPro 3000 would do the job just as good.
The price is about $100 cheaper too.

I noticed the RhinoPro labels only go down to 1/4". Is that too big to wrap tightly on 22AWG wires?

- Matt

It's 3X shrink tubing, so it works ok. It is possible to rotate the labels on wire that small, but it takes some effort.

For a simple solution, I use white heat shrink tubing. I write on the tubing with a black fine Sharpie, put the tubing on the wire and hit it with the heat gun. The writing shrinks and remains readable. It isn't fancy, but it works real well and is a lot faster than fussing with a computer. I've done this on my RV-8 and Marquart Charger. Am currently wiring my RV-6 using the same technique. Give it a try, you will like it. Simple and easy.

Anyone tried to put own shrinking tube to the empty cartridge? Just wondering how long that 5' will last when doing avionics...
I think Labelcity took a marketing tip from the printer manufacturers, you know....offer great pricing on the printer itself but then nail you big time for the ink! You are right about the 5' length thing. I'm on the THIRD cassette of 1/4" heat shrink tape...by far (for me) the most commonly used size of shrink tape but the labeling chores are now ending. The best price I could find for those expensive replacement cassettes is at Cableorganizer.com and they do ship fast. No doubt about it. The printed yellow shrink tape does have a quality professional look about it.

Because the tape is so expensive, I have hand printed a few random waste pieces generated by the printing process and is quite passable to look at when shrunk. Still, I have no idea if the ink used in the hand printed version will eventually fade over time.

Oh yes... of course the ink is in the cartridge so even you would be able to open and put there your own heat shrink the ink will end some day. :( Just wondering that having two smallest size of hear shrinks might be enough and then with bigger ones use other methods for marking (still Rhino but no heat shrinks), does that sound good? Or then get one of each and couple smallest (1/4") for extra... then the whole set is around $250. :eek:

.......Just wondering that having two smallest size of hear shrinks might be enough and then with bigger ones use other methods for marking (still Rhino but no heat shrinks), does that sound good?.....
I'd say your plan is workable. I have only used "inches" of any of the larger sizes. Since my last post on the subject, I just ordered the FOURTH 1/4" size cassette when the last one unexpectedly ran out of tape. BTW. The cassettes are fashioned in such a way that an ink ribbon is on a spool that tracks underneath the heat shrink and is used up along with the shrink. To keep your cost down to a bare bones minimum, why not just order the Rhino 5000 for $87 from Labelcity and purchase cheaper priced cassettes elsewhere...starting with two 1/4" cassettes....as required?

Tape source

I'd say your plan is workable. I have only used "inches" of any of the larger sizes. Since my last post on the subject, I just ordered the FOURTH 1/4" size cassette when the last one unexpectedly ran out of tape. BTW. The cassettes are fashioned in such a way that an ink ribbon is on a spool that tracks underneath the heat shrink and is used up along with the shrink. To keep your cost down to a bare bones minimum, why not just order the Rhino 5000 for $87 from Labelcity and purchase cheaper priced cassettes elsewhere...starting with two 1/4" cassettes....as required?

Rick... exactly what I was going to do...:)

Is anyone cheaper than $24.99 for the 1/4 inch tape that is here?

http://cableorganizer.com/dymo-replacement-labels/?SSAID=228999

Still not sure what a Rhino 5000 gives me over a Rhino 3000 though...

gil A

For a simple solution, I use white heatshrink tubing and write on it with a sharpie. I use my heat gun to shrink the tubing, and it shrinks the writing at the same time.

Before I bought my Rhino 5000, I found a deal on the net where you bought ?$200$ or so of tape and got the printer free. Don't know the web site, but as I'm now buying my 5th roll of shrink tape at $25 to $30, this looks like it was a good deal... I used Label City for my printer and first labels, but Cableornagizer looks a little cheaper on the labels

Before I bought my Rhino 5000, I found a deal on the net where you bought ?$200$ or so of tape and got the printer free. Don't know the web site, but as I'm now buying my 5th roll of shrink tape at $25 to $30, this looks like it was a good deal... I used Label City for my printer and first labels, but Cableornagizer looks a little cheaper on the labels

yeah, that's the deal i did -- you had to buy 10 rolls. i bought 8 1/4 inch and 2 3/8 inch. shouldda made it 9/1 i think now. (i'm on my 5th roll of 1/4 inch -- 'course i'm nearly done.)

Where?

yeah, that's the deal i did -- you had to buy 10 rolls. i bought 8 1/4 inch and 2 3/8 inch. shouldda made it 9/1 i think now. (i'm on my 5th roll of 1/4 inch -- 'course i'm nearly done.)

John ....can you remember the web site?

My Google seach came up empty...:(

gil A

Caution on using a 'Sharpie' for wire labels

For what its worth; I used a fine point Sharpie to label my Kitfox wires. After several years, the Sharpie ink soaked in the insulation and migrated, making the writing illegible. I was able to salvage and relabel most, but not all identification.

I don't know if the same thing will happen on with shrink tubing, but wanted to share this for what its worth. For my -8, I bought a nifty Brother 1650 and really like it.

Also or what its worth; I just finished a test panel where I oversprayed the Brother labels with about four coats of 'rattle can' lacquer, then lightly sanded it and sprayed a few more coats on it. The labels were totally resistant to the lacquer and I ended up with a very professional-looking panel that had labels embedded in it. It will be a fair amount of work, but I think the results will be worth it.

I have been watching this thread becasue I am close to the point of wiring. I have seen the question between the 3000 and the 5000 appears to be the "Wire Gauge Function" which automatically formats label for wire thickness. That would appear to be a worthwhile function. Cable Organizer has a special now. With the order of ten cartridges, you can ge the 5000 free. The question for those of you that have done this, what are the optimal 10 cartridges to order.

Dymo Labelwriter 150

I have been watching this thread becasue I am close to the point of wiring. I have seen the question between the 3000 and the 5000 appears to be the "Wire Gauge Function" which automatically formats label for wire thickness. That would appear to be a worthwhile function. Cable Organizer has a special now. With the order of ten cartridges, you can ge the 5000 free. The question for those of you that have done this, what are the optimal 10 cartridges to order.
Excellent product, easy to use, many options $49 at Walmart. Used white/clear, black/clear, black on white. 1/4" wide is best, but some only come in 1/2", cut with scissors, no biggie, EXCELLENT results, user friendly, great support.
Mike H 9A/8A

I use white heat shrink tubing and a fine line Sharpie. Just write whatever you want to say on the heatshrink tubing and shrink it down over the wire with the heatgun. The writing shrinks at the same rate as the tubing. It is easy and works.

Bought a Dymo LabelMaker 210 for 49.99 @ Staples for a kit that included AC adapter and carrying case. Use the yellow and black 3/8 labels.
Then I shrink them with CLEAR heatshrink.
This is the only way to go.
Cheap and very effective.