RVAddict

Well Known Member
Guys,
Pictures 17 and 18 on Doug's slide show of LOE '07 are of an RV-8 panel (N628RV). What brand/type of EFIS/EMS does he have in the panel? I've never seen one like that before. I really like this clean, simple panel layout.

Josh

BMA G3s

Vic is correct. They are Blue Mountain G3s. I typically use the top one for flight instruments and the lower one on either the HSI or moving map page. The BMA auto pilot is connected to the bottom box, but can be used on either. Since the G3s do not support weather, I also added a 496 on a RAM mount.
BMA now offers a G4 unit, and others, and I believe they now offer terrain and weather information, similar to the Garmin, but you'd have to check that out.
Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
Thanks for the comments.

Steve,

I thought you might jump in here. Thanks for your comments. I have one silly question. What does HSI mean? I don't know that one. So, basiclly, what you have is just like any of the other EFIS/EMS systems out there??? It's just a different one that I've never seen before.

Also, if it is like other EFIS/EMS combos out there, why all the EI gauges? My thoughts for a simple (LIGHT) day/night VFR panel were something like this.

GRT Horizon two screen system. (substitute Dynon, Chelton, your favorite here)

Back up steam airspeed and alt on either side of the EFIS.

SL40

GTX 327 Xponder

The EFIS has every possible gauge/instrument under the sun. You'd have backup steam gauges for airspeed and altitude. A radio and transponder.

I'm new to this and still a student pilot, but having looked at some pretty simple panels (Citabria) It seems to me that this kind of combo (sub your favorite brands/models) would be the lightest, easiest and most simple way to outfit a day/night VFR panel. And if you ever wanted to upgrade to IFR, you would have lots of acreage left to do it.

Does an EFIS/EMS even come close in price to putting an all-steam panel in? Which is cheaper?

Lots of questions...:D

Josh
HSI = Horizontal Situation Indicator (If I remember correctly.)

Back when I ordered my instruments, there weren't any EFIS providers that offered engine gauges as part of their unit. Since then, just about everyone does. I could even convert one of my existing boxes to an engine module if I wanted to, but what would be the point, since I already have the other gauges.
Anyway, I think that just about all of the available EFIS packages are really great. I particularly like the Dynon D180 and the BMA Sport. However, as far as I know, and certainly it was the case when I ordered mine, BMA is the only EFIS manufacturer that offers an internal GPS w/ moving map as part of the overall unit, and at little or no additional cost, in their basic units.
If I was looking today, I'd have a hard time deciding what to go with. You can search the pages here and see a lot of opinions on quite a few different units, but a lot of it is personal taste and experience. Don't forget aesthetics! Looks do count for something, too!
For a simple Day/Night VFR, I think I'd go with a D180, Garmin 496, Garmin TXP and Garmin Comm. (Since I have the 496 already.) Otherwise, I'd go with a BMA sport and the radio/txp.
My advice, what ever you do, wait till the last minute to decide on the EFIS. You'll have to compare prices to see what fits your budget. Something new or updated comes up all the time and you want to get the latest stuff when you do buy your panel.
Sounds like you are thinking along the right lines.
Good luck.