Bob Martin

Well Known Member
● N52VV Out of the Paint Shop ...Grady called to say he had just pushed this recently painted RV-8 out into the sunshine with its new coat. I didn't have the 'good' camera with me, but got some fairly nice ones with the backup.
--------------------------------------------------
Doug, Thanks for taking the pictures of Jim Shanon's RV-8.
Jim goes by "Flickroll" here on VAF. With the Christian Eagle in the Avitar.
Jim took his beauty to Grady's a couple months ago and we know he is very happy to have Victor Victor painted and back flying again. as I type this I'm pretty sure Jim is about to depart Texas for Virginia! Tailwinds Jim!!!
Jim had sent us a couple pictures as he received them from Grady, but your 10 shots were fantastic!! All the guys here at Charlottesville/Louisa/Richmond are happy for Jim and were looking forward to seeing the beautiful paint job that Grady is known for. :) The 10 pics you took and posted are a great prelude to what will soon be flying off our RV wings here in Central Virginia.
Thanks again Doug for taking the time from your busy schedule to do this for us.

Yup, looks great. After flying a nekkid plane for a few months, I've grown to appreciate paint a whole lot more. :D

I'm on The Big Board at Grady's for March. Weather permitting, I'll fly him out of the frozen tundra into a more moderate clime and let Grady do his magic. When Smokey emerges, he'll have a more visible personality! Can't wait.

Congrats on the great paint job, Jim and Grady.

I'm next

I was pulling up to Grady's hanger just as Doug was finishing up with his pictures, so I saw 52VV in person .... looks great.

I'll be missing my baby will she's with Grady but 557RA will finally be "done".

Also, thanks to Deene Ogden who was my wing man and gave me a ride back in his gorgeous -8 Fastback.

snip...Thanks again Doug for taking the time from your busy schedule to do this for us.

Shoot, Grady calls me and I come running! It's the perfect type news story for the site, so I'm always glad when he calls! :) Grady's is on the south end of the field, so I always look for people standing outside and dip the wing when taking off rwy 17. He's the real deal.

I was pulling up to Grady's hanger just as Doug was finishing up with his pictures, so I saw 52VV in person .... looks great.

Rick, I'm sorry I couldn't stop and talk more. I was late for something already and couldn't stay long. Next time!

IMG_0088.JPG

Last edited:
cost

Not to be rude or impolite about this but can someone share the cost of a Grady paintjob with multiple colors? I want to do some combination of red and silver (painted) with an accent color.

I would love Grady to paint my plane based on what I have seen of his work.

My plan for that day far off in the future is to fly down, take a Southwest flight home and reverse the process when picking the plane up.

gotta love checkered tail and flaps!

just give Grady a call, and he'll tell ya all about prices etc

I'll be missing my baby will she's with Grady but 557RA will finally be "done".

Also, thanks to Deene Ogden who was my wing man and gave me a ride back in his gorgeous -8 Fastback.

Yes, "VV" did have a very nice paint job. I call this the "Bob Bashear" scheme as originated by Bob many years ago on his early RV4.

And Brady even gave me a compliment on my "driveway" paint job.

Thanks for the compliments guys. I flew N52VV home to Virginia today....around 5.5 hrs flying, with 1 stop. Grady does really nice work, which obviously drew me to him. The other thing is he specializes in RV's, so he and Brandon know how to take em apart and reassemble. I'm really pleased with the work they did for me. I'd go back in a heartbeat!