Pmerems

Well Known Member
Advertiser
My RV-7A (N47PM) flew for the first time on 12/31/2010 . The test pilot was Beetle Bailey. He is an RV-7A driver with thousands of hours of flying with almost 1000 hours in RV?s. The weather had been unusually cold around Tucson, AZ for the past few days with some snow flurries. However the weather forecast for Friday was supposed to be clear, calm and cold. Well they got the cold part right but not the rest. We planned a 10:00 am start but it was way too cold so we pushed the test into the afternoon. Around the departure time the winds went from calm to progressively stronger with some gusts. This change didn?t concern my seasoned test pilot. Around 3:15 N47PM took to the sky with an uneventful takeoff. Beetle flew a high pattern over Tucson International Airport for approximately 45 minutes. I had my handheld radio tuned to an off frequency that Beetle could contact me on to give me updates and ask any questions or concerns. Apparently the Dynon AOA alarm was not shut down (it wasn?t calibrated yet) and kept beeping in his headset. By selecting the intercom isolate switch he was able to stop this annoyance (Dynon alarm tones come in on the aux input on the intercom). The rest of the flight was uneventful with all systems and engine performing perfectly. Beetle made a perfect crosswind landing and we celebrated with a cup of hot chocolate.

N47PM-First-Flight1.jpg

N47PM-Paul-and-Beetle2.jpg

(Beetle is on the left)

I really wanted to get the plane in the air on Friday because it was my Fathers 79th birthday and I was hoping to gift him the experience of watching the first flight. He was present and enjoyed the whole event (other then the cold).

I would like to thank a few folks that made this possible and put up with my questions over the years. First off Beetle Bailey (and his family) for trusting my workmanship. Bill Finnell (current RV-8 builder) for his constant help. Paul Conn (Probibly the oldest RV pilot still flying and an inspiration), Mel Jordan (answering all my Dynon questions) and Gil Alexander.

In the next few weeks it will be my turn in the cockpit and the fun will begin. I will keep you posted.

Paul congratulations! What a great New Year present! In your ancestor world they say "what you do on New Years Eve you will be doing all year". Blue skies to you and happy Phase 1!

Paul-

Congrats on the first flight. Be safe and have fun during Phase 1.

(B.T.W. - I like your N num. Mine is very similar N35PM)

Familiar tail number....

Congretulations on your nice plane.
The tailnumber does ring a bell... It used to belong to a Piper 46 Malibu, based at Maastricht, my home base...

n47pm.jpg

Good luck with your plane and wish you many happy landings !

Paul, congrats on your first flight. Happy B-day to your Dad as well. I've only met one other person with the same B-day as I.

Nice

Way to go Paul. Just think your plane will be getting two, First Flights. Both very memorable!!!

Congrats Paul! I've been watching your progress and I hope to be right behind you on first flight (hopefully this month).

Scott

Hi Paul! I'm a bit late with the congratulations. Just noticed you are airborne
I'm sure you are having a blast. Hope to follow you into the air around June.
Jim