mannanj

Well Known Member
After 4 1/2 years and after being asked "when is it going to fly?" and my
saying "Thursday", about half a million times, N161RL flew Thurs.29 June.
She's an RV-8 slow build, IO-360-A3B6D, McCauley (ugh.) Prop, Sam James
Cowl.

Can't give any hard numbers now. She took off like a rocket, probably
1500-1800 agl. by the end of the 5500 ft. runway. I'm new to the constant
speed prop thing, so I was a little slow to think to pull the Prop back.
When I looked down, the tach was showing 3100 rpm. Holy S--t! Pulled the
Prop Control back ---- nothing! Had to pull the Throttle back to nearly
idle to get the rpms below 2500. Needless to say first priority was to get
on the ground, NOW. She handled great. I think she would have flown hands off. Landing was a greaser wheel landing. Kept her a little hot, just in
case, didn't want to land short. Course I didn't want to go-around either.

She had run up fine. Previous full power check showed a little over 2600
rpm static. Don't have a clue as to what went wrong. Prop was a new
overhaul, Govenor was a new MT from Van's. Have pulled the Prop and Gov.
Both going to the Prop Shop Wed the 5th.

Needless to say the "grin" was there; though a little dulled by the
set-back.

Mannan Thomason
RV-8

Congratulations!

Way to go Mannan! A first flight, and an unexpected event handled well - glad for you that both worked out well!

I had the opposite rpm experience on my first flight - I looked down at the gauges after getting on downwind and saw only 1800 RPM....but it was obvious she was running MUCH better than that - turned out to be a missed setting in my engine monitor. Hope yours is simple (and not too expensive)!

Paul

Congrats

Congrats on a first flight despite the problems.

Just a thought, did it sound like 3100 rpms? If not, maybe your instrument is wrong. Did the prop cycle properly on the ground?

Good luck, let everyone know the results.

Darwin: Re: 3100rpm

Couldn't tell from inside. Folks on the ground said that it sounded like a T-6!
Prop control had absolutely no effect at all even tho it worked on run-up.

Mannan Thomason
RV-8

Congratulations on the first flight and now having an airplane waiting on you at your hangar!! Wonderful feeling, isn't it!?

Not trying to monday morning quarterback, but here are a couple of things to think about.

1. Are you sure you got all the air out of the propeller and/or governor? I cycle mine at least 3 times, sometimes more if the oil is still too cold to go. Once I took off without cycling mine and I got an uncommanded overrev. Scared the #@#* out of me 'till I fugured out what had happened.

2. Did you check the prop control response on the ground first? To do this, set the rpm (with full high rpm control) to 1700 rpm. Pull the prop control back until you have 1600 rpm and the governor is controlling. Note the MP indicated. Now, add 1 or 2 inches MP and see if the rpm first rises a little then returns to 1600. Reduce power back to the original MP. The rpm should dip then return to 1600. Now, reduce an inch or two below the original MP. The rpm should again dip a little then rise back to 1600. Should be a good general test, but make sure your prop and/or engine are good for this procedure.

Again, congratulations.

"1. Are you sure you got all the air out of the propeller and/or governor? I cycle mine at least 3 times, sometimes more if the oil is still too cold to go. Once I took off without cycling mine and I got an uncommanded overrev. Scared the #@#* out of me 'till I fugured out what had happened."

Bryan:

I did cycle the prop three times before takeoff. on return; the prop wouldn't cycle at all.

"2. Did you check the prop control response on the ground first? To do this, set the rpm (with full high rpm control) to 1700 rpm. Pull the prop control back until you have 1600 rpm and the governor is controlling. Note the MP indicated. Now, add 1 or 2 inches MP and see if the rpm first rises a little then returns to 1600. Reduce power back to the original MP. The rpm should dip then return to 1600. Now, reduce an inch or two below the original MP. The rpm should again dip a little then rise back to 1600. Should be a good general test, but make sure your prop and/or engine are good for this procedure."

I didn't do this proceedure. I will in the future. The prop and govenor are going to the local prop shop Wed. a.m. The prop shop is an authorized rapair station for McCauley and MT govenors. Talked to them last Fri. and they said to bring them in and they will bench check everything. First time I've ever whshed that it wasn't a Holliday Weekend. Holding up my flying!!!!

Mannan Thomason
RV-8 N161RL (No. 1 Girl)