RV7A Flyer

Well Known Member
Patron
A bit of a hypothetical, but a discussion came up about relocating overseas (UK or EU), and what it would take to fly there. We did some looking around on the web, but the info is pretty confusing, so just as a thought experiment....

Anyone know how easy or difficult it is for a pilot with an FAA license (Instrument Rating) to fly their US-registered RV in Europe after a relocation? Speaking from a licensing/regulatory standpoint, *not* the cost of flying (fuel, ATC fees, etc.) (yet!).

Purely a hypothetical question...for now, at least :)

While you remain on the N reg without a standard airworthiness certificate, you will need an exemption for every foreign state that you fly to/over. They are normally only granted for up to one month unless you can demonstrate a good reason not to re-register.

I have heard tell that some US military stationed in Germany managed to get an extended exemption on the basis that their posting was of a temporary nature. You'd be advised to check with the authority where you intend to base to find out what might be possible.

Greenland charges about $500 for a limited exemption valid for Greenland, Denmark and the Faeroes; other states typically charge about $100 a time (Canada is free).

Getting registered in Europe would give you reasonable freedom to travel elsewhere in Europe according to the ECAC agreement, but getting local airworthiness approval (permit to fly) could take 3-6 months and may not be possible at all in some countries.

If you can say which European country you want to be based in, there may be some more detail I could add.

While on the N reg your FAA licence is all that is required. If you re-register, you may be able to use your FAA certificate to fly within the state of registration, but would need to get a licence issued by the local CAA to fly internationally. Getting an EASA licence would give the greatest freedom and isn't too difficult assuming you have more than 100 hours as pilot.

Last edited:
Language??

First thing that popped in my mind was language. (Except for England of course.) Ok, if you're with local ATC over there (even that can be a grind), but wonder about private flying.:eek:

First thing that popped in my mind was language. (Except for England of course.) Ok, if you're with local ATC over there (even that can be a grind), but wonder about private flying.:eek:
All controllers will have level 4 or higher English proficiency and will be used to communicating in both English and the local language.
Most smaller fields with un-licensed air-ground radio or common traffic, you will be expected to use the local language, though English will usually be accepted in countries like Germany and the Low Countries.

It shouldn't take too long to learn enough vocabulary to understand and be understood once you start flying there.

Don't forget it's the same problem for the local pilots flying to their neighbouring countries (though some never do for that reason).

While you remain on the N reg without a standard airworthiness certificate, you will need an exemption for every foreign state that you fly to/over. They are normally only granted for up to one month unless you can demonstrate a good reason not to re-register.

I have heard tell that some US military stationed in Germany managed to get an extended exemption on the basis that their posting was of a temporary nature. You'd be advised to check with the authority where you intend to base to find out what might be possible.

Greenland charges about $500 for a limited exemption valid for Greenland, Denmark and the Faeroes; other states typically charge about $100 a time (Canada is free).

Getting registered in Europe would give you reasonable freedom to travel elsewhere in Europe according to the ECAC agreement, but getting local airworthiness approval (permit to fly) could take 3-6 months and may not be possible at all in some countries.

If you can say which European country you want to be based in, there may be some more detail I could add.

While on the N reg your FAA licence is all that is required. If you re-register, you may be able to use your FAA certificate to fly within the state of registration, but would need to get a licence issued by the local CAA to fly internationally. Getting an EASA licence would give the greatest freedom and isn't too difficult assuming you have more than 100 hours as pilot.

Thanks...this is a lot of good info. To answer your question, two countries in question (as far as basing) are UK and France.

France appears not to want to approve homebuilts that haven't been built in France. I can put you in touch with the Aeroclub de France official who may be able to advise further. There are a few British registered homebuilts in France that return to the UK for their annual permit renewal. I'm not sure how they get long term exemption in France, but it seems possible.

In the UK it is possible if your aircraft conforms basically to the type acceptance data sheet for the RV-7 (i.e. not too many imaginative mods from plans).
There are some guidelines here.

I've been through the process a few times. It took a while but wasn't too painful.

Also you will need mode s transponder and 8.33khz radio in Europe now. Best sorted in the US before import to Europe

Last edited:
In the UK it is possible if your aircraft conforms basically to the type acceptance data sheet for the RV-7 (i.e. not too many imaginative mods from plans).
There are some guidelines here.

That list was for a plane converted to a "G" registration?.
Can homebuilts still be operated under a US pilot's licene and retain their "N" number?

I know a lot of certified planes in the UK are (or at least were) operated under N-reg rules.

Last edited:
That list was for a plane converted to a "G" registration?.
Can homebuilts still be operated under a US pilot's licene and retain their "N" number?

I know a lot of certified planes in the UK are (or at least were) operated under N-reg rules.

With a standard airworthiness, there's no real problem though there are various attempts to add extra restrictions, so far unsuccessful.
An experimental with non-standard airworthiness you need an exemption, and that is only usually granted for a short period.

Anecdotally, there are quite a few N experimentals in Europe. Probably operating 'under the radar' and hoping they don't fall foul of officialdom or insurance investigation.