mstrauss

Well Known Member
Patron
I got a little excited today when looking at the mail. I found a letter from the FAA Aircraft Registration Branch. I was excited, because about a month ago I put a reservation request in the tail number N51PM. Actually, my story goes back a bit further. As I am sure most who have used the FAA N-number search tool knows, just because a registration comes back showing available, doesn't mean it is. There is a disclaimer at the top of the page that states, the database is updated daily. I've assumed this to mean that if someone finds the registration, and puts in the request (and pays their $10) before you, the registration will come back as unavailable when you try to put in the actual reservation. I also thought that it may show as available in one system, but the database used for the reservation webpage, had not yet been updated. After all, these system are bach processed, and it could take some time to get everything in sync.

I had started on this occasional N-number hut, where I search and try reserving something I liked, even if it previously came back as unavailable via the reservation page. Back to N51PM, it previously failed when attempting to reserve it. However, one day it worked, and allowed me to complete the request. I paid my $10, and waited to get a letter showing N51PM as mine. Hence my excitement for the letter in the mail today.

That excitement turned to disappointment, when I read the enclosed letter. It stated, N51PM is not available. Strange, I thought, it must be some kind of mistake. So, I decided to call, and try to talk with Leia Dunsworth, the signee of the letter. I called, and proceeded to wait on hold for 30 min, all the time knowing there was no way I was ever going to be talking to Leia Dunsworth. That didn't deter me from calling, I wanted to know what happened to my reservation.

Much to my suprise, the person that eventually answered stated their name was Leia. I asked, Ms. Dunsworth? Well, by now I am sure you figured out that it was, and I think she was as shocked as me that I was calling to talk with her, and by happenstance she picked up my call. I don't know the odds, but I thought them low, and felt it was an omen, that this would all be cleared up, and N51PM would be mine.

I am sorry to say, that is not the case. Leia was very nice, but about as knowledgeable of the systems and there internals as me, and by that, I mean not very. She could not explain why I was able to put in the reservation, or explain how such a discrepancy could be. All she could tell me is that the N-number was already reserved, and that the reservation was for 5 years, and would not expire until 2026. Which I find odd as I thought reservation need to be renewed yearly.

So what gives? Has anyone else experienced oddities with the reservation process and systems? Is there someone with insight into how this is suppose to work, please enlighten me. Well, that's my tale. Got to go, I need to start my search again.

Last edited:
I got a little excited today when looking at the mail. I found a letter from the FAA Aircraft Registration Branch. I was excited, because about a month ago I put a reservation request in the tail number N51PM. Actually, my story goes back a bit further. As I am sure most who have used the FAA N-number search tool knows, just because a registration comes back showing available, doesn't mean it is. There is a disclaimer at the top of the page that states, the database is updated daily. I've assumed this to mean that if someone finds the registration, and puts in the request (and pays their $10) before you, the registration will come back as unavailable when you try to put in the actual reservation. I also thought that it may show as available in one system, but the database used for the reservation webpage, had not yet been updated. After all, these system are bach processed, and it could take some time to get everything in sync.

I had started on this occasional N-number hut, where I search and try reserving something I liked, even if it previously came back as unavailable via the reservation page. Back to N51PM, it previously failed when attempting to reserve it. However, one day it worked, and allowed me to complete the request. I paid my $10, and waited to get a letter showing N51PM as mine. Hence my excitement for the letter in the mail today.

That excitement turned to disappointment, when I read the enclosed letter. It stated, N51PM is not available. Strange, I thought, it must be some kind of mistake. So, I decided to call, and try to talk with Leia Dunsworth, the signee of the letter. I called, and proceeded to wait on hold for 30 min, all the time knowing there was no way I was ever going to be talking to Leia Dunsworth. That didn't deter me from calling, I wanted to know what happened to my reservation.

Much to my suprise, the person that eventually answered stated their name was Leia. I asked, Ms. Dunsworth? Well, by now I am sure you figured out that it was, and I think she was as shocked as me that I was calling to talk with her, and by happenstance she picked up my call. I don't know the odds, but I thought them low, and felt it was an omen, that this would all be cleared up, and N51PM would be mine.

I am sorry to say, that is not the case. Leia was very nice, but about as knowledgeable of the systems and there internals as me, and by that, I mean not very. She could not explain why I was able to put in the reservation, or explain how such a discrepancy could be. All she could tell me is that the N-number was already reserved, and that the reservation was for 5 years, and would not expire until 2026. Which I find odd as I thought reservation need to be renewed yearly.

So what gives? Has anyone else experienced oddities with the reservation process and systems? Is there someone with insight into how this is suppose to work, please enlighten me. Well, that's my tale. Got to go, I need to start search again.
Happened to me also. Seems common. There's a period of time (seems could be in excess of 2 months) that a N number will show available, and it was requested but not yet granted so shows up. Seems a simple database issue but nothing is simple with the FAA. After my first one was denied (after over 2 months) I looked at sure enough someone else had it. I don't remember if my 10 bucks was returned. Next time found 5 that I liked and received my preference.

I must be lucky. I reserved two online and paid with a credit card. It's been quite a while and I renew them online. One is now registered to my airplane. N511RV
The other I reserved and keep in case I build another airplane someday.
N5115

I too had a (somewhat) similar circumstance re/N-number reservation ...

A number I had been working on with a previous owner (now deceased), whose wife was willing to have the number assigned to me directly, without it going into the "pool", only to be snapped up by a "sniper", was told by an FAA representative, that existing numbers turned in for re-assignment were put on non-reservable status for a 5 year period, in case the original owner wanted to re-activate that number within that time frame. My concern was that the number I was interested in (and was given, by a written, notarized statement by the owner's widow), would be snapped up immediately by a sniper program as soon (like 5 seconds) as it became available.

Didn't matter to the FED's - a rule is a rule, and tough s**t about the possible outcome. I was finally able (after a 1 1/2 yeasrs of back and forths - with all the docs they asked for) to get a lady that felt sorry for me, and on her own gave me the number (I won't say what it is but, it's a single digit followed by two letters), which I have been very careful to re-reserve every year. Without that nice lady's intervention - I'm pretty sure that I would never have been able to get it.

YMMV - But this was a long and winding road!

HFS

was told by an FAA representative, that existing numbers turned in for re-assignment were put on non-reservable status for a 5 year period
That can't be right. It's known that people are able to reassign N-numbers to others (such as a large corporation that wants a particular one that's already on someone's Cessna, and buys it from them...that's known to happen).

Well - that's what they told me because of the previous owner's death, not a simple transfer at that point. There is a distinction here ...

HFS

Dead or not, either the previous guy was the owner, or the estate was...either way, the story you were fed by whomever at FAA sounds bogus to me.

Dead or not, either the previous guy was the owner, or the estate was...either way, the story you were fed by whomever at FAA sounds bogus to me.
Doesn't matter - they hold the high ground. You can s**t & groan, P**s & moan, it is what they say it is, until it isn't ...

YMMV - But after a year and a half fight with them, I know the above to be true!

HFS