danielhv

Well Known Member
When you register or reserve an N number, it says its $10 /year. Do you have to pay the $10 a year each and every year to keep it? I thought I saw somewhere a while back (searched but couldn't find it) that there is a workaround for paying the $10 a year each year to reserve...

$10 a year

Every year for the past 4 or so since reserving my number, I get a card from the FAA letting me know that if I wanted to reserve it for another year I'd have to send them $10.

I thought I saw somewhere a while back (searched but couldn't find it) that there is a workaround for paying the $10 a year each year to reserve...
The work around is to go ahead and register the airplane. Once you register it the number is yours.
Registering early CAN have pitfalls if you decide to sell the airplane before it's finished.

..and can produce...

The work around is to go ahead and register the airplane. Once you register it the number is yours.
Registering early CAN have pitfalls if you decide to sell the airplane before it's finished.

...a local tax bill....:(

tax bill

Yeah but I've heard of cases where they try and send you a bill before the airplane is finished. They tried this to my friend build is building an RV7.

Nah, Gil's right.

...a local tax bill....

I think you get the tax bill after you get the airworthiness certificate.

Like Gil said, it 'can' produce a local tax bill. As in it 'may or may not'. This has been discussed at length here and it really depends on where you live. Seems states, countys and even some cities have different laws concerning this.

Hi Dan:

I was talking to an insurance agent here in Texas a few months ago. He is building an -8. I believe he had the empennage done and was working on the wings or fuse (can't remember which). He registered his airplane (you can do this if you have Van send you the final paperwork, you don't need to have the airworthiness certificate).

He got a tax bill from the Great State of Texas saying they valued his airplane at $100,000. The tax bill was for about $12,500. Needless to say he was not happy. I haven't followed up with him after giving him some suggestions on how to handle the situation, so I need to do that. But the point is, apparently Texas looks at the FAA registry and checks it against tax records.

So you might want to wait till you're close to being finished before registering. Oh, and put some tax money on lay-away.

Chris

10 hogs a year - each year to keep reserved.

See, Webb gives an excellent example of how different states charge differently.

Here in Mississippi they get 10 hogs a year or 12 goats but they prefer hogs. Now during football season you get a discount if the hogs are captured in Arkansas.