hydroguy2

Well Known Member
One of you had a nifty search feature to find available N-numbers. Far easier than the FAA method. I'm unable to find this handy link using the search function. Any help out there?

You're gonna love this. Just type it into google.

N6313C, for example. You'll get more info on that plane than you'd ever want. I've been doing that lately and it works amazingly well.

Oh, duh. I thought you meant actually finding info on N-Numbers. I must have had it on my mind. My buddy at work discovered that the google thing actually returns back relavent results. I was just so excited, I had to tell SOMEONE, I guess :D

jcoloccia said:
You're gonna love this. Just type it into google.

N6313C, for example. You'll get more info on that plane than you'd ever want. I've been doing that lately and it works amazingly well.

Geeze, now I just tried it; and by just by typing my N-number into "Google", it seems that anything I've ever said about it on the internet, even from years ago, just pops up in about a second!

Question about faa registry

I was wondering what this Mode S Code listing on the registration is all
about ? mine shows a number but I don't know where it came from.. anyone know ?

Danny..

I was wondering about that myself on the first couple of lookups I did. I asked around. Apparently that's the Mode S discrete code that you're to use if you ever install a Mode S transponder.

Be warned...this is thrid hand information but it makes sense to me, at any rate. Maybe someone can confirm this.

Mode S

The FAA is actually looking to the future. ( ! ) Mode 'S' transponders have a specific code so that it can be selectively interrogated (hence Mode S = Select), which can also encode additional information into the data stream. This transponder essentially gives a basic data link capability. By assigning a code when the N number is given out, they have avoided a bunch of paperwork when it becomes required. Mode 'S' is required for part 135 and 121 (airline) opreations.

Typed my N number into Google and learned something. Looks like a Citabria had an accident back in 1976 with the same N number as mine. Non-fatal, thank goodness.

So are N numbers reuseable? I wouldn't have thought so. Maybe a mistake made back then in recording the N Number by the NTSB?

"N" numbers are indeed reusable after the aircraft is reported as destroyed. My old motorglider number, N59MA, now resides on a Citation in Delaware.