boom3

Well Known Member
Awhile back I reserved an N Number and got the letter saying it's available but I can't use it until I send a written request describing the aircraft by manufacturer, model, and serial number. Since the plane isn't registered there is no such plane.

I'm filling out Form 8050-1 and there is a place for the N Number but technically I do not have one since I haven't formally requested it.

Can I just write my desired N Number on the 8050-1 form and attach the letter showing it has been reserved?

I'm probably over thinking this. Sure I've built my own airplane but have probably lost a lot of common sense over the last 4 years.:rolleyes:

Thanks!

Reserved?

Did the letter say it was available or reserved for you? If reserved, just put that N numnber on the forms. I did and it went through the process okay.

If you haven't actually reserved it, you can do that online...easy peasy.

Don

Beware the tax man,...

I had a number reserved for 4 years with no problems. 10 days after I finalized the number, I received a nice letter from the Arkansas State Department of Revenue wanting me to pay sales tax (use tax) or show proof that I had. The FAA apparently reports all registrations to the appropriate state revenue department very quickly.

Be ready for that when you convert to a permanent registration number.

Bill S
7a on the verge

Thanks for the heads up Bill.

I'm pretty sure in Washington, Use tax is due at the time of first use. I'm sure I'll get the friendly :eek: reminder when I register the plane but I need to keep the ball rolling.