Toobuilder

Well Known Member
Hi all,

I'm rebuilding the panel in the -8 and I'm moving some stuff around, grouping switches by function - basic PVI stuff... Anyway, I'm not real "up" on all the functions of the latest glass panels, and I've run across an unlabled switch. It is a small 2 position toggle (center off) with 9 wires off the back. The wires are labled with ARINC A -430, Serial - AP, Serial EFIS, etc. So it would appear that the switch controls some interaction between the GRT EFIS, the Garmin 430, and the TrueTrack autopilot.

With the premise that my understanding of avionics is little more than the knowledge that all the boxes are filled with magic smoke, and if that smoke leaks out, stuff stops working - can anyone explain what the purpose of this switch is?

Thanks a whole lot.

A switch like this is typically installed so you can choose the source of data that feeds the autopilot. Usually folks put it in case the EFIS craps out they can feed the A/P directly from the 430 (or vice versa)... Also gives you options as you can set up separate flightplans on EFIS vs 430 and A/P can be switched between the two instantly.

Looks like the switch you got there switches both ARINC and Serial connections. (nice!!)

OK, great! I even understood what you were saying!

Now I know where to put the switch on the panel...

Thanks a bunch!