blackbeard10

Well Known Member
Short flight today. On taxi powering up radio comm breaker
popped back to the hanger checked breaker...breaker okay powered Xcom on another breaker on same buss breaker popped. checked circuit wire for chafe...
wire fine. removed cover on DB15 connector...connections okay... no bridges
comm breaker pushed in DB15 disconnected from Xcom voltage on DB15 at both
power pins 12.57 used temp harness DB15 to DB25 to install spare MGL V6 using same circuit MGL powers up works fine. Must be short in radio. Opened case...no loose items... no burn smell? Looks complicated...put case back on
This is a great radio with great features. Had it about 5 years. What's my next step? Sent PM to rocketbob Has anyone else had their Xcom radios serviced
in the U.S.

Well you could use a multimeter to measure the resistance between the power and ground to determine if you have an actual "short". Typically a "shorted" input will be a low resistance but not zero ohms. Make sure you connect the two meter probes together to measure the resistance of your test leads first. The actual input resistance will be the measured input resistance minus the test lead resistance.

Sometimes the input power filter caps fail. Otherwise you might have a failure of one of the semiconductor parts.

Short in Xcom getting fixed

Thanks for the replies and offer. An update: I called the U.S. number for Xcom
and the owner, Michael Coates answered. After discussing the possible causes,
bad harness, bad breaker, all of which I had eliminated, he suggested sending back to the factory. I also got an email from RocketBob, a VAF contributor,who is in Indiana. Bob was fixing the Xcoms back when they had more difficulties with their radios because of vendor issues. I sent my radio off to Bob last week. For a very fair price he is fixing the radio with a three year warranty. Before I sent the radio Bob thought that I had an over voltage event and blew out the protection diode. It will be interesting to see what he finds.
Thanks again for your reply,
Mark