pierre smith

Well Known Member
....that built and then lost their airplanes at Sun 'n Fun:

It's not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, and comes short again and again...who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat... Teddy Roosevelt, Paris, 1910.

Best,

Pierre,

You are spot on. Perseverance in the face of adversity. I have great respect for the plight of all that were caught up in yesterday's events.

Reach for the sky always!

Pierre,

You and Teddy are correct. The VAF community is the best, and we will help our friends to rebuild. In time, they shall return to the place of this tragedy, to show that if man has the will, and the way, he can overcome.
Tom

I just met Tony up at Dahlonega recently as he stopped in before heading up to the formation clinic and it broke my heart to see his airplane after the storm. I am sure there will be additional pain in time as the reality of what happened sets in. His place appeared to be a very personal expression of him and if you have ever seen it you would know what I mean.

Back in 2003 I walked away from my airplane lying inverted in farmer's field feeling totally devastated. But, although not the wisest course, determined to rebuild and with the help of Van's and an off the shelf quick built fuselage did just that. It took about six months.

A problem after an event such as SNF 2011 is shell shock. It takes a while to sink in and only then after some time can wise decisions be made. In retrospect, I could have totaled my airplane and should have, the money part was a wash item. The end result is new rebuilt machine except for the wings which were without a scratch, but the log reflects damage history. And down the road that serves no good purpose.

Just my 2 cents on the subject. Emotion is one thing, good decisions are another.

Back in 2003 I walked away from my airplane lying inverted in farmer's field feeling totally devastated. But, although not the wisest course, determined to rebuild and with the help of Van's and an off the shelf quick built fuselage did just that. It took about six months.

A problem after an event such as SNF 2011 is shell shock. It takes a while to sink in and only then after some time can wise decisions be made. In retrospect, I could have totaled my airplane and should have, the money part was a wash item. The end result is new rebuilt machine except for the wings which were without a scratch, but the log reflects damage history. And down the road that serves no good purpose.

Just my 2 cents on the subject. Emotion is one thing, good decisions are another.

Well put. If my RV-6 is ever damaged in a storm, even though that little plane is an expression from my soul, I'll do everything possible to have it "totaled".

That is good counsel!

The trials and pressures of life--and how we face them--often define us. Confronted by adversity, many people give up while others rise up. How do those who succeed do it? They persevere. They find the benefit to them personally that comes from any trial. And they recognize that the best thing about adversity is coming out on the other side of it. There is a sweetness to overcoming your troubles and finding something good in the process, however small it may be. Giving up when adversity threatens can make a person bitter. Persevering through adversity makes one better.
- JOHN C. MAXWELL, Talent Is Never Enough

Fall seven times, stand up eight. ~Japanese Proverb

The Test of a Man

I always liked this poem:

THE TEST OF A MAN
by O. Lawrence Hawthorne

There?s little satisfaction to be gained
from doing things that hold no difficulties.

It?s the tough old task that brings keen sense of worth and power
to the man who wins the fight.
His failures test his courage,
and his problems prove his might.

Until a man has conquered loss
and overcome defeat,
He cannot fully understand
just why success is sweet.

I?m thankful for my disappointments,
for the battles lost,
And for mistakes that seemed to charge
an overwhelming cost.