lucky

Well Known Member
ssologrin7212010.jpg

And yes, I have to say it was a LOT more rewarding for me than when I soloed or first flighted any plane including my RV8. After he soloed we eventually wound up in Matt Chapman's hangar at New Garden Flying Field N57 where we fly out of and he was eyeing Matt's plane as 'soon'. His goal is to attend the USNA and fly fighters off a carrier. Nut. I was Air Force but I can't sway him at all. He says he can already take off and land off a paved runway so he wants to try a carrier. :cool: So here he is, 17 years and 1 day old and already he can land a Cessna 150 better than me.

Last edited:
Congrats!

Sounds like he has a plan, and is on his way to making it happen!
That's where I soloed and got my private many many years ago :eek:

Very cool!

I'm green with envy - my 15 year old son only likes BMX bikes and girls. I agree with the girl part. I'm hoping my RV-8 will be flying in time to get him the bug.

Congratulations to you and your son!

You've given him a good start

Very little comes to youngsters without a solid home base. When I was 17 I was wearing a green outfit at Lackland AFB trying to get a start in life. Good job Dad.

Bob Axsom

My son Derek also soloed this week

No picture, but my 18 year old son also soloed a SEL this week. He had soloed a glider several years ago at the age of 15. He had wanted to start flying last year but the economy stymied that idea. This fall he will be attending Indiana State University's professional pilot program. He could have waited until then to start but was determined to have his private before starting college. So a couple weeks ago he quite his two summer jobs, moved down to his grandparents (to be closer to Skyking airport) and started flying in earnest. If the weather will cooperate in the midwest he has a chance to get his ticket by the end of August.

Congratulations... Job Well Done!

Lucky- Congratulations to you and your son! I can only imagine the wonderful feelings of excitement, accomplishment, and endearing love that this event has brought into your lives. I commend you for providing the love, understanding, and opportunity to your son, and I commend your son for his maturity in recognizing and acting upon the opportunity you provided. Job well done Dad... and Congratulations to your son!

With a little luck and some good weather, next week I hope to join your ranks as a proud father of a daughter who will solo at 16yrs. It's been an interesting journey in that all of her training has been in a Legend Cub out of a 2000' grass strip with trees at one end and a fence at the other, and added to that, most of her flying has been on days with some cross wind. I suppose it's good that she doesn't know what she doesn't know. It is however going to be interesting to see how high she flares on her first approach to a 150'x6000' runway!

Personal regards,

Congrats to the lad!

Lucky congratulations are in order for both you and your son!

What an impressive feat, and an impressive and worthy goal with the Naval Adademy!

(We might be in a bit of a parallel universe. I'm a USAF vet, but both daughters went USNA, and one is about to complete Navy flight school. The Naval Academy will win you over. )