RVbySDI

Well Known Member
First off, I want to say thanks to all those who stopped by and offered their advice and helped with my damaged 9A at Sun n Fun on Friday and Saturday.

Tony, thanks for giving me an expert opinion on my damage as you walked by on Friday. Thanks also to Jay Pratt for giving me your expert advice on what I need to do . A special thanks to Scott Risan from Vans for personally coming out to my airplane and assessing my damage.

And thanks to Vans himself for offering discounts on price for replacement parts for those of us with damaged airplanes. Vans did not have to do that. They chose to do so and that is one of the things that makes this company so strong. I have just gotten off the phone with Vans with my order for replacement parts. It is a fantastic company that will step forward and provide needed support to those with damage in a situation like this.

Of all the people I have to thank though, a special thanks has to go to Victor Finch. Karl Richle called me after my posts on Thursday on this forum. He gave me the phone number to a fellow 9A builder named Victor Finch. Vic is building a 9A in Zephyr Hills, Fl. He was volunteering in the EAA Kitchen at Sun n Fun. After Karl talked with Vic and after I talked with him on the phone Thursday, Vic was kind enough to bring his left flap out to the grounds Friday. He walked across the grounds carrying his completed left flap and delivered it personally to me so that I could use it to replace mine that was crushed in the storm.

Vic, I cannot express my thanks strongly enough for loaning me your completed flap for me to use to fly home on. I will be shipping your flap back to you soon. Be assured I will make absolutely sure it gets back to you unharmed.

There were many others at Sun n Fun that went out of their way to help. All the volunteers at the Home Built registration building were super. However, a special THANK YOU has to go to Linda (I sure wish I was able to get her last name but I did not) from the HB registration. She worked diligently with me all morning on Friday to help me get my plane out of the HB area so I could work on it during the airshow.

The guys at the Emergency Repair station were fantastic as well. When I got to their location they were working to get their repair trailer righted as the storm had blown it over on its side. Even though they had their own troubles they worked hard to help me get my plane moved and provided all the tools I needed for the repairs.

Thanks to Mark Ausman and John from Vertical Power for helping me resolve my VP-50 problems when it received water damage. They were able to help me remove the control box from my plane, take it back to their hotel and open it up to dry it out. Saturday they took it to their booth where we tested it with their equipment to verify it was functioning. Mark and John, it worked flawlessly all the way home.

Thanks to Brad from E-mag for the help in transporting my damaged parts back home with him in his motor home.

Lastly, I did not get the girls names at the Aspen Avionics Hospitality tent in the GA parking area but they were great too. They provided us with drinking water and shade whenever we needed it but as valuable as anything, they had a golf cart that they were able to use to cart me from the GA parking all the way over to Hangar D and points in between whenever I asked.

It is truly amazing to me the camaraderie and support I witnessed while trying to deal with this situation. I am truly fortunate that my damages were minor in comparison to others who had their planes destroyed. My heart goes out to all of those individuals who suffered total losses. I know these aircraft are only machines and can be replaced but they still hold special places in our hearts none the less. I know I felt great sorrow in witnessing first hand the horrible destruction last Thursday.

So to all those who helped me personally and those who helped all the many others in need, I offer up my sincerest gratitude for the support you gave.

Live Long and Prosper!

Last edited:
Glad all went well for you

Can't let an airplane that looks that good sit idle.

Hope you had a safe ride home. Next time you get to FL please stop by ZPH for a while and hang out. Hopefully Vic's will be finished and bring the count on RV-9A's based there to 6.

Red and White RV's rock.

Steve-

So sorry to hear you had damage in the storm, however, I must say your story on the efforts of others to help out in a time of need is inspirational. It is amazing to me how the RV community (and all aviators) band together when the need arises. I solute all those who were able to lend you a helping hand!

sun-n-fun

hello steve, it`norman from montreal can, just to say i`m glad you made it home with your plane, hope every turns out ok...

Wow, not to many companies provide this kind of support anymore, never mind so many in one location.

If I hadn't already been building an RV and decided I needed/wanted Vertical Powers products, this would have sold me.

It's stories like this that make me proud of the aviation brotherhood, even if we do eat our young and kick each other around sometimes. Guys still know how to come together when it really matters.