JimWoo50

Well Known Member
Try to make this concise. Followed all the directions, got the appropriate led lights after blowing in the tube and yet during run up when I switched to the pmag the 0-320 would backfire and die. Called Brad on a Sunday and he worked with me on my problem. Went and did it all over and wiring checked ok yet engine still backfired and died on pmag. Called Brad yet again and he shipped a loaner pmag to me immediately. Same result on the loaner, backfire and die. Now I am convinced it has to be timing related so I scour this forum for info and discover a post that mentioned flywheels purchased from Dick Waters in Mims Fl. have inaccurate markings. Bingo. Checked my receipts and sure enough I bought both flywheel and starter from him. At the hangar turned the engine to tdc while looking through the number 1 plug hole and the marking were not even close. Timed the engine by watching the piston and listening to the impulse coupling, timed it to just after the impulse clanked while piston was seemingly stopped and it started way easier (although it doesn't fire up until I turn the key loose) and idled smoother than it had previously. Flew 2 short local hops and it feels more powerful but I can't wait to make a long trip at altitude to further investigate. I feel I owe Brad a absolutely positive review for his stellar customer service for my neglect in not checking the timing marks before having him go through the trouble of loaning me a pmag. He worked patiently with me on a Sunday (during a Cowboys game?) and I always was confident we would get to the bottom of whatever it was. Thanks Brad!