Jaypratt

Well Known Member
Mentor
You RV ers fly or own another airplane? Let's here about it.

Of my 3500 hrs, TT,,,,, 1600hrs in RVs, has been the best! What other planes do you own/fly?

My other plane is a Super Cub 180 hp, a kit plane called a North Star, like a Piper Super Cub. See www.Customflightltd.com. Fun kit. Good, Best? 'Super Cub' kit on the market.
I have met many interesting people on the www.supercub.org web sight. Many real people. Pilots. Fliers. This is a plus ownng a 'type club' plane.
The RV folks tend to fly more than the casual airplane owner. I have seen this on the www.Supercub.org websight too.
The Bonanza P 35 I had for 800 hrs 5 years. Great plane, did not make many friends.??? Was I too young?
Cheorkee Six 300 hp, owned in the Carribbean 400 hrs 4 yrs. Fun, but not the same as having a RV!!! Too expensive to fly for fun.
What else do you own or fly?

Last edited:
Jay,
My other plane is a Great Planes Big Stik radio controlled :D :D I can't fly "IN" it, but I can fly it.

See you in two weeks.

Tobin

One of the other planes I fly is a Navy T-28C Trojan. Wright 1820 cu. in., 9 cylinder, 1425 hp, with two-speed gear-shifted supercharger.
Oil changes at 25 hrs, and it takes 16 gallons of 60 wt. Aeroshell.
At a very low-power economy cruise, it does 55 gal./hr.
I expect the RV-7 to be a bit more economical to operate.

I've been flying a buddy's Stearman now for about 4 years, and this summer got half checked out in his AT-6.

The best thing is that those birds are HIS !

Reluctantly sold my 1960 C-172A last year in order to continue the RV project.

Other than that, B757/767s at work.

I've only got enough time and money to have one at a time, but I've had a few over the past 6 years.

Just before the RV I was lucky enough to own a pristine Cessna 170B

Before that, a nicely restored Citabria 7GCBC

Prior to the Citabria, a hard to find Taylorcraft F21B, only 23 built.

My tailwheel trainer was a Cessna 140A, which was preceeded by a Piper Tripacer.

The first in line was another rare bird, a Mooney M10 Cadet. I guess if you use your imagination, the M10 kinda looks like an RV. ;)

1948 Stinson, 108-3, Station Wagon

Owned it for last 19 years.

Now my wife is learning to fly, and is has done all of her time in the Stinson.

Mike

Last edited:
Prior to the RV, I owned an Ercoupe and a Piper Colt. Talk about power!

Currently I'm having a blast learning to fly with the paraglider crowd...

Paraglidertakeoff.jpg

(not me, but I had this photo handy)

I fly a USAF T-41B (Cessna 172 on steriods, 210hp) at a military aero club. A ton of fun to fly in the Colorado mountains.

Still banging rivets on my -8

AT 502

The one that pays the bills is an Air Tractor 502, PT-6-15AG powered, 47 GPH Jet A/kerosene, 680 HP, 7746 TT Since new, original motor!
wheat2001fn9.jpg

Prior to that was an AT-6, Cessna 310, Cassutt F-1, Cessna 150,

The little bird that could

Jaypratt said:
You RV ers fly or own another airplane? et's here about it.
................ What else do you own or fly?
I've warmed the left seat of my C-150 for 1000 hours since 1988 when it was group purchased
as a fixer-upper, completely refurbished and repainted in its distinctive color scheme by one member
of the original group. Conveniently, he happened to run his own aircraft painting company. Over the
years, I eventually became sole owner and recently completed a MOH and complete FWF restoration
which included four new ECI Titan cylinder assemblies. I've had a lot of fun in this little airplane and
even though I thoroughly enjoy my 6A, that little 150 can do things the RV cannot, like dumping
40 degrees of flaps over the threshold of the runway at PATTERN ALTITUDE, then diving down and still
landing well short of the available real estate left on a 3000' runway. The time has finally come for me
to sell to (help) finance the RV-8 project, its wing kit on order. I will not settle for less than top dollar
for the 150 but then it is an exceptional example of its kind and I part with it only reluctantly. This
little bird will always remain with me in fond recollections of sometimes deeply personal experience.
151xh3.jpg
152ii8.jpg

153pb7.jpg
154qm8.jpg

Maxair Rocket, rare aerobatic version of a Drifter. Needed a cheap flyer while I poured money into projects, and the Rocket is a huge bang for the buck. Only a handful were built, and I think this is the only nice one left in the world. 582 blue head, E-box, BRS, Warp, 160TT SN, good for 8.8G. Video at http://www.perryhillauto.com/downloads/downloads.htm

Previous airplanes were an L-4H, another Drifter, and a JN-4C replica. Building a custom biplane (w/ an M14 radial), RV8QB on order.

Dan Horton

Jay,

Well until I retired, my other plane was a Boeing 777.

I have owned a:

1946 Cessna 140 (3 years and 350 hours).....

1972 Grumman AA1-A "Yankee" (23 years and 1200+ hours)...

My first Homebuilt:
1983 Pitts S1S (3 1/2 years and 150 hours)....

1941 J-3 Cub ( 8 years and 250 hours) and finally.......

2000 RV-8 Beautiful Doll (6 years 3 months, 826 hours and counting)

Most special one was a C170B that I flew for many years in the bush country of Alaska...Still miss those days!!! I am hoping the RV-8 will replace this thrill...

I fly a 1970 Citabria 7GCBC and a Schleicher Ka-8 vintage glider. The glider gets exceptional mileage!

... Bill

TerryWighs said:
Most special one was a C170B that I flew for many years in the bush country of Alaska...Still miss those days!!! I am hoping the RV-8 will replace this thrill...
As someone who just came out of a C170B and into an RV - trust me, it will replace the thrill and magnify it many times!

Took it away

This was my other aeroplane................. until they said I was too old and took it away.
Pete.

fodb777kz3.jpg

Last edited:
A Cessna Cardinal for about 4 years and 900 hrs.
DSC01927.JPG

Learned to fly (taught myself... don't do this!) in a Quicksilver MXL and still have it.
MXL.JPG

Currently an RV4, next a bush plane of some sort... Maule or Cub probably.

Another '68 cardinal driver here :)

Image-178650D03D5A11D7.jpg

O-360 A1A HARTZELL constant speed... We now have some speed mods on her, and I hope we never sell her, even after the RV is done. 4 seats on 180HP at 125-130ktas.

CTSW

A Flight Design CTSW, my father's, less than 15 hours on the Hobbs. I got
checked out in the airplane last weekend to get added to the airplane's policy
(named pilot policy). Fast, responsive plane for a LSA - you have to set the
prop so that it doesn't reach full RPM to keep it below 120 kt. A bit tricky to
land at first with the light weight and springy gear. Good visibility and room.

Doug

dad_2CT_web.jpg

The Champ...

Aeronca 7AC with 85HP mod to make it a 7BCM. No electrical system (Hand Prop), No flaps (Slips like a dream),
and minimally effective heel brakes. The most fun of any plane I've flown to date and I have about half of my 300+ plus hours in it.
champwalkiq3.jpg

Cathy the Decathalon

Here's my "other" ride (tied down at Burning Man):
aab.sized.jpg

Joe, your picture made me want to post my "red and white striped stepchild" of your Champ. I too am building a taildraggin' tippin' up RV-7 for pretty much the same reasons as you - I like taildraggers and I like great visibility (the Decathalon is pretty amazing in that category).

George

RV-4 Trainer

I bought this to get my tailwheel endorsment and to build tailwheel time while I complete my RV-4. It's a 1949 Cessna C-140A (all metal, same wing as a 150 but with different flaps) with a Continental C-85. It's a neat, cheap to operate taildragger that cruises at about 90 knots.
c140a112405008gf2.jpg

Last edited:
They are ALL beautiful!

Don't know 'bout you guys but every airplane represented here in this post is just beautiful! Whether it's a B-777 or an Aeronca Champ, there's not one flying machine out there that doesn't make my heart beat just a little faster!

They ARE women you know....

1932 Monocoupe 110. I wanted another project after finishing the RV-6 and came real close to building an RV-3. I finally decided it would be good to expand my skill set and learn tube, fabric and wood work in aircraft. I always liked Monocoupes and took the plunge on a major project 5 years ago. I have had to scratch build a one piece, 32 foot long wood wing, which is just about done. The plane will have a 7 cylinder Warner 145 hp Super Scarab motor and a NACA bump cowl. Huge early 30's style aluminum wheel pants. Here is a picture of my plane when it left the Monocoupe factory in October of 1932:
nc12350blackandwhitecva1.jpg

Here is the wing:

wingjig1nc8.jpg

I have a build web site, with lots of photos, so best viewed with a high speed connection at

http://members.cox.net/dbinkley/monocoupe110.htm

Here is some history of the Monocoupe 110 and the National Air Races from 1930 - 1932:

http://members.cox.net/ceciliab/monocoupe110nar.htm

Dave

1958 J-35 Bonanza for the past 3 1/2 years. We have really enjoyed the airplane, but are looking forward to the RV-10. Will be putting my half of the Bonanza on the market soon.
I fly a Citation X at work.

My other airplane......

My other airplane is your standard 20 year old Cessna 172 that I fly for the Civil Air Patrol. Our squadron may be getting the newest C-172 from our region, a 2000 model SP. The useful load is lower and the other squadrons do not want it. :rolleyes: These are being phased out and replaced with C-182 with the Garmin 1000 glass panel. Can't wait to try that bird.
These planes are older but are kept up to pristine standards in our region. They actually beg us to fly more hours. (We pay to fly....not free).

Pat Garboden
Ozark, MO
RV9-A 942WG (reserved) O-235 w/slider
RV9-A 942PT (reserved) O-320 w/tip-up

My other favorite airplane is my Cessna L-19A. It is a great airplane to fly with good visibility in all directions nicely balanced controls. It has lots of room for two big guys and plenty of baggage room. I have flown it 12 hours in one day and still felt pretty good. With 60 degrees of flaps and 225 hp, it will get in and out really short. I always get a great parking spot at OSH and every airshow. It is a real warbird unlike the tandum seated Bonanza and other trainers. There are a lot less Bird Dogs than RV's... Thanks to events sponsored by the International Bird Dog Association, I have landed at the LBJ ranch and had lunch on the lawn of the "Western White House" and was invited to the L-bird fly-in at the Air Force Museum. We landed at and flew out of Wright Field for two days last October. See Warbird Digest Magazine Jan Feb 2007 for the story. Down sides, not near as fast as my RV-8 and uses a lot more gas!

I have a Corben Baby Ace to fly while I build my -7. It's a single seat, open cockpit parasol taildragger. Flies about like a Champ for less than half the cost (only about 13K - 14K for a very nice one). Very cheap to keep and burns only 4 gals.hr. mostly auto gas. Great way to scratch the flying itch and stay tailwheel proficient without tying up capital and spending a lot of money that needs to go into the RV project!

Plan is to sell it when time to get the engine, but if somehow I could swing it, I'd like to keep it along with the RV.

- Brett

Speed brakes on an RV

Alex Caldwell said:
We could use dive brakes on RV's, I think. Might be helpful if you have
to land dead stick, or get in some kind of unusual attitude. Has anybody
ever tried a speedbrake on an RV?

Your constant speed prop at fine pitch will slow down your RV *very* quickly!

The other woman.....

is a 1965 Mooney M20C. Really a pretty good plane, for a certified. Still have it, but it's for sale and has been since last march with no takers. I fly it regularly and annual is due next month. I'll keep on building the RV as long as I have parts to rivet. Once the Mooney is sold I'll finish up the RV.

www.n5796qsale.com