I am presently deployed to the Middle East on a yearlong rotation. Prior to leaving the states last fall I ask the former owner / builder of my RV6, N601SC (AKA ?Sugar Charlie) if he would perform a little RV panel magic. Boy did he come through. Steve Campbell is now my new best friend. I cannot say thanks enough to the quality work he has done.

Below are the before and after pics. The before pic was taken in APR 2007 when I bought Sugar Charlie. The present is what I will return to in the fall of this year.

Though I have not personally made it home yet to enjoy the outcome of his magic ? I am sure the tricks will be countless. The major components for this particular upgrade included a Dynon 100, Dynon 2 axis auto-pilot, Dynon AP 74, Dynon AOA/Pitot, Grand Rapids EIS fuel analyzer, Carb temp probe, 2.25? backup Airspeed and Altimeter gages, Classic Aero leather glare shield trim and linking my Garmin 396 to the SL-40 and Dynon package.

Sugar Charlie was an incredible traveling machine prior to the panel upgrade ? I can only imagine my future VFR travels will be even more enjoyable.
Having made the cross country between 32GA (40 miles south of Athens, GA) and Old El Paso, TX on several occasions in my first RV (RV-3) and now the 6 in fewer than 8 hrs of hand flying ? I am sure the Dynon auto pilot and new situational awareness concerning attitude for those hazy summer days will be a welcomed addition.

Many thanks to the following in the retail industry ? Stein at Stein Air for providing all the great products, Mike at Dynon General Support and Tim at Grand Rapids. You folks are off the charts concerning costumer support. Throughout their emails to Steve all they wanted to do is make things right and get the 6 safely in the air. Finally, to all the helping hands at I17.

Over Old El Paso - Spring 2008
OverOldElPaso.jpg

Apr 2007
Apr2007.jpg

May 2007
May07.jpg

Jan 2009
Jan09.jpg

Jul 2009
D100.jpg

Jul 2009
NewatNight.jpg

My Grin
open.jpg

See you all on the top deck?

Cheers.

Jerry

Looks good - at least you have a plane to fly! And, it's only fitting since you bear the same name as an AF base...

Spent my time in GW-I as a FAC/ALO with the 101st. Miserable place, sand gets everywhere. Only flying was a ride in on a Blackhawk - rotary lift just ain't natural...

Thanks for your service!

:D

Hi Jerry,

Very nice.........Steve does nice work and is a real gentleman.....as indicated when I did your pre-buy a couple years ago.....boy does time fly :).

It's really nice to see 'a man become one' with his airplane as you have.

Thanks for all you and our fellow servicemen do for us.....each and every day!!

Boy are you going to enjoy traveling in that now.

Make sure you make time again to visit when you're passing by Dahlonega.

Very Nice

Hey Jerry,

The panel looks great! I was real interested in purchasing Sugar Charlie when Steve had her for sale. But as usual, I was just about 1 day too late. I guess you are the one that beat me to it. I am happy that you bought her, and it sounds like you have enjoyed owning her.

Thank you for your service, and please come home safely.

Panel inserts...

I noticed that your panel has inset, inserts that you can replace. i.e. When you upgraded your panel you just put in a new insert. Did you build the base panel yourself, with the inserts? Or purchase it somewhere. If the latter where?

Thanks,
Michael-

Sorry for the delay

Sir,
Sorry for the delay in answering your question. I am simply the lucky recipient of this plane. The gentleman I bought the plane from in the spring of 07 had the forethought years ago that someone might just need to do what we did. I have him to thank for that. While I was deployed last year he undertook the task of upgrading. I would have never had anyone else try and pull it off. He built it ? so I figured he knew where all the wires went. Since I have had it back I have truly enjoyed the new features. For me doing 600-1400 nm cross counties this upgrade was a no brainer. Hand flying for 8 hours will make you a believer of this fact. Auto-Pilot is a great thing and my Dynon is a wonderful integrated product with the 396.
Cheers
SHEP