I-MROB

And what on earth has that got to do with RV-8s?

Well, it fits (just!).

9045821_orig.jpg

and with no mod to the baggage compartment, but you do need to remove the rear seat to get it in and out.

Here is the bike unfolded, it rides pretty well for the size.
It takes me about 30 seconds to fold it and unfold it with no tools.

1968219_orig.jpg

It's a Brompton M2LX, it's made in England.

http://www.brompton.co.uk/

Regards.
Roberto

Weight

But how much does it weigh?

Mine weighs 10.5 Kg (23 Lbs)

It will actually help CG when flying solo.
With my wife in the back seat (120Lbs) I expect to still be within limits.

I'm not flying yet, but I tried CG calculations for RV-8s with similar engine and prop to mine http://www.rvproject.com/wab/ and I can even load the rear shelf to full capacity and still be within limits.

Rob

Wow! I have challenged people to come up with a bike that actually fit in the back of an -8, and this is the first one I've seen - pretty neat!

I wouldn't worry about the weight - for a long time, I flew around with a couple of cases of oil in the rear baggage compartment when I didn't have a passenger.

Paul

I picked up some things at Van's last week and saw a similar fold-up bike in their gift shop. Anyone know how it compares to the Brompton M2LX shown here?

Mike

Banana seat?

Maybe with a banana seat off an old Sting Ray you and your wife could go 2 up.....for a little ways anyhow.....

I picked up some things at Van's last week and saw a similar fold-up bike in their gift shop. Anyone know how it compares to the Brompton M2LX shown here?

Mike

I've heard that preview plans are available, with a QB kit coming in a month or so... :D

Van's bike

Mike

You probably saw a Bike Friday Tikit.
Van's sells those.

It's a clever little bike, but it folds a bit bigger than the Brompton.
I don't know if it fits in the RV-8 baggage compartment.

http://www.bikefriday.com/tikit

Mike

Van's became a dealer for the "Bike Friday" folding bikes, which look to be very high quality....I told them that if they would show me a photo of one in the back of an -8, I'd place an order....haven't seen such a photo yet....;)

You probably saw a Bike Friday Tikit.
Van's sells those.

It's a clever little bike, but it folds a bit bigger than the Brompton.
I don't know if it fits in the RV-8 baggage compartment.

http://www.bikefriday.com/tikit
I have followed Bike Friday for many years and own a Brompton. They are very different at what they are good at.

As pointed out, Bike Friday bicycles don't tend to fold as small or as cleanly as Bromptons (Bike Friday makes many many models, including tandems and recumbents). On the other hand they are quite a bit better, as a rule, as bicycles that you would want to ride some distance. If you have the room, they can be a real good choice.

Bromptons excel at folding quickly and into a very compact package. I have a nylon cover for mine and sometimes take it into restaurants. This has never gotten notice. It looks sort of like a largish valise. It rides OK, but I would hesitate to take it 20 miles unless I had lots of time.

Wife

Maybe with a banana seat off an old Sting Ray you and your wife could go 2 up.....for a little ways anyhow.....

Actually, by modifying the rear baggage compartment a bit I might be able to squeeze 2 Bromptons in there...

Rob

OK. I'm a -6 guy so give me break for asking...

Am I understanding correctly from the photo that the seat belts, floor pan, and possibly empenage and elevator control tube not yet installed? What about your bellcrank (-8 has one?) does it interfere with the bike? Just curious!

Nice way to travel with your own transportation--two bikes, holy cow!

Interference

OK. I'm a -6 guy so give me break for asking...

Am I understanding correctly from the photo that the seat belts, floor pan, and possibly empenage and elevator control tube not yet installed? What about your bellcrank (-8 has one?) does it interfere with the bike? Just curious!

Nice way to travel with your own transportation--two bikes, holy cow!

You guys are lucky, you have plenty of space in the back to play with! :)

The Baggage compartment floor and shelf were installed to see if the bike would fit. They are not painted so they might not be very evident in the photo

2930170_orig.jpg

The bike fits entirely in the forward part of the baggage compartment without even touching the shelf.

The elevator control tube goes under the baggage compt floor.
The bellcrank and battery (if one chooses to install the battery aft) go behind the shelf.

The shoulder harness attaches to the top of the fuselage in the baggage compt and is out of the way.

Now, if I decide to carry 2 bikes I will need to modify the baggage compt and interference with the bellcrank will have to be addressed.

I was thinking of shamelessly copying Mike Robbins http://www.romeolima.com/RV8/MikeRobbins/aftbaggage.jpg

Who did an excellent job, but had larger (and better) bikes than mine.

Rob

I have followed Bike Friday for many years and own a Brompton. They are very different at what they are good at.

As pointed out, Bike Friday bicycles don't tend to fold as small or as cleanly as Bromptons (Bike Friday makes many many models, including tandems and recumbents). On the other hand they are quite a bit better, as a rule, as bicycles that you would want to ride some distance. If you have the room, they can be a real good choice.

Bromptons excel at folding quickly and into a very compact package. I have a nylon cover for mine and sometimes take it into restaurants. This has never gotten notice. It looks sort of like a largish valise. It rides OK, but I would hesitate to take it 20 miles unless I had lots of time.

You are absolutely right.

Folding bikes are always a compromise so one should look at the intended mission and get the right bike for the job.

I think that the Brompton is perfect for short rides from the airport to the nearest town or restaurant.

Or for getting around at fly-ins

I wouldn't seriously consider it for long treks.

Rob

I wouldn't worry about the weight - for a long time, I flew around with a couple of cases of oil in the rear baggage compartment when I didn't have a passenger.

Paul

Paul,
Can you comment on this further... Is the -8 nose heavy with a -360 and Hartzell or did you just prefer the way it flew with the weight back there???:confused:
Josh

Paul,
Can you comment on this further... Is the -8 nose heavy with a -360 and Hartzell or did you just prefer the way it flew with the weight back there???:confused:
Josh

I wouldn't say the plane is "nose heavy", but with just me and full fuel, the CG is about a quarter of the way back from the front of the envelope. Pitch feel is precise and solid at that point (during phase 1, I rated it pretty much a "1" or "2" on the Cooper-harper scale - those are level 1 handling qualities that require no improvement). When you move the CG back, the feel gets lighter. Put a 260 pounder in the back seat, and you can get really surprised if you pull - there is little stick force. At full aft CG, I rate it about a "3".

It felt a bit nicer with a case of oil in the back early on, but at some point, I removed it to put in baggage for a trip, and never replaced it - and I don't miss it.

Paul

Thanks, Paul

I was just wondering what your thoughts were on that. I have been toying with the idea of a fixed pitched prop on an-8 with a 180 hp engine. (to drive the build & maint. cost down, I WANT a C/S :rolleyes:) I know there is a huge difference in weight between the two and just wondered if a fixed prop would give a better "feel" or make W&B easier.

Thanks,
Josh