bsacks05

Well Known Member
FRIDAY - Left work ASAP because I needed to do a fuel run to Thomaston, GA (OPN) where the fuel is $3.65. It is about 30 miles from my home base. I was not in a hurry and throttled back to enjoy the trip. Besides going fast, RVs can go slow and the -9 can go REALLY slow. I drew a compromise at about 120 kts in order to enjoy the middle GA fall foliage. Of course I was tuned into the XM music and flipped through some channels until I found something I felt like listening to.
Cruising at sunset is wonderful and mere words cannot describe the feeling of wonderment and joy that I built this thing and here I am with the sky to myself. Yeah, KEEP POUNDING THEM RIVETS! The payoff is enormous. :)
I filled up and returned to the home base (PXE) before sundown. At the airport, I stopped to talk to Bob who is a retired AF B-1 instructor pilot. He also helped me design my plane's paint scheme. We made a date to go flying on Saturday since he is one of the few locals who have not been in my RV yet.

SATURDAY - Bob and I saddled up and got airborne. He showed me how to do Lazy 8s and Chandelles. We discussed energy management and how well the -9 handles these gentle maneuvers. We finished with him talking me through an overhead break to land. That one I will have to work on because the -9 takes a long time to bleed of energy and the turn needs to be a BIG one in order to arrive on final at the correct speed and alt. I even let him land it from the right seat, something I have not let anyone do up to this point!

Who says you can't have fun in an RV9? You can enjoy lots of aerobatic maneuvers including rolls. Just get proper instruction.

Putting Catalina away, we both agreed that the mains could use a little air and that the T/W chain has a little too much slack in it.

SUNDAY Went to the airport to add air to the mains and took a link out of the T/W chains. Of course then it was time for an ops check!
I took off and did some recon of my house (yes, wifey's car was there in the driveway) Flew over Dave's house and noticed that his garage door was down so he must be sleeping instead of building his -7. I tuned in the new XM59 channel which is all Led Zeppelin all the time. Life is beautiful.
Did a few touch and goes to feel out the increased air pressure in the mains, then put her away.
Sunday evening, my 11 y.o. son and I drove to Atlanta to see his first concert. The band is from Australia and they play all Pink Floyd music with awesome sound and lights. They even do an inflatable pig and kangaroo! The first half of the show was the entire Dark Side of the Moon record. The band is incredible. www.aussiefloyd.com. Well worth the drive and ticket price.

It was a very good weekend. :D

We have to get together!

Bruce,

Saturday found us loading up Torque the Wonder Dog, Nora, and luggage before sunrise. Just as the sun came up we blasted off for Collagedale, TN to visit Nora's parents.

Strong winds over the mountains, like 65 MPH strong, had us tighten the hookers down but even with the linticular (sp?) clouds, there wasn't a bump to be had so we throttled up again and cruised on.

As we touched down at 3M3 they were just finishing up their fly-in breakfast. Bummer we couldn't join them but we had places to go.

Sunday morning Dad-in-Law and I went for a flight. He has zero TW time but I still let him do five landings in 1WR. He did ok, considering and I only had to save one landing.

After that we went up to 5,500 feet where he did a bunch of different stalls and some other "stuff".

You are right about the -9, it is fun to fly, if you manage your energy right. ;)

Sounds like your wife enjoys flying. Mine has flown with me once. She enjoyed it but schedules have kept us from doing a long distance flight together. Since I have a few days off this week, perhaps I can take her up to the ATL area for lunch.

Bruce,

She does enjoy the flying. Of course, I expect that to change after I do something to scare her, like fly into a very short tree lined strip or some such thing. My goal is to never to do that though.

Hey, next spring let's get the RV gang together and go to ATL for a Braves game. Nora is a HUGE Braves fan.

Enjoying My Nine

Connie and I also had a great flight Sunday along the Gulf Coast up to the St. Marks Light House. Water was soo clear, almost looked like the Bahamas.
Hope to see you at Little River for Jerry Cornwalls RV Fly-In, It is always first class. They also have great camping facilities should you want to camp. Besides the Nine I exercised the Cub for two hours.
Gerry Chancey
RV-9 & Cub (super airplanes)

Gerry,

I've never heard of Jerry Cornwalls RV Fly-in at Little River. What are the details?

RV Activities

Go to Vans Airforce Florida Wing. There is another RV Fly-in a week later. Both are in north central Florida. Then in January is the RV Fly-In at Lakeland (SNF)
Gerry Chancey
N92GC, RV 9
NC88583, J-3

Bruce,

David Watson here from Quincy, Florida. I read these forums every now and then and I've seen several of your posts. My wife and I have a fly-in at our home in March each year around St Patrick's Day. Last year was our first one. We had RVs from as far away as Naples, Florida to Columbia, SC. I'd like for you and some of your friends to know that we are close by and we'd love to have you fly in if possible. We promise a fine BBQ lunch and some good fellowship........all free.

This past June I bought a Starduster Too to fly while I'm building my RV8. We flew it from Brasstown, NC back to Quincy and we made a stop at Thomaston, GA for fuel. Really nice folks there. Also, 10 or 15 years ago I flew a Smith Miniplane to Warner Robbins to a fly-in and I won a trophy for having the smallest airplane. There were several hundred people there that day. I had a wonderful time. Anyway, all of that to say that I'm proud that you've got the 9 flying. I'm sure you enjoy it. I'm looking forward to flying my 8 someday.

Blue skies and tailwinds,
David Watson

David,
I really like flying down to Fl. Just keep us posted when the date gets closer and I'll plan to attend. I definately will be at the Little River Fly In on Dec. 1. If you can make it, I'll meet you there.

We'll try to make it. I think Jerry Cornwell is responsible for that fly-in....he does a good job. I hope to see you there. We'll try to put an ad on Doug's site in February next year for our St Patrick's Day event.

David

Bruce,

She does enjoy the flying. Of course, I expect that to change after I do something to scare her, like fly into a very short tree lined strip or some such thing. My goal is to never to do that though.

Hey, next spring let's get the RV gang together and go to ATL for a Braves game. Nora is a HUGE Braves fan.

Bill,
Let me know when you want to do the Braves game. I work in downtown Atlanta, and can coordinate, get tickets, whatever is needed. Might also be able to get a couple of the other area RV'ers to join up and provide taxi service from the airport of choice (LZU in Gwinnett, LYY in Kennesaw, etc.).

Bill,
Let me know when you want to do the Braves game. I work in downtown Atlanta, and can coordinate, get tickets, whatever is needed. Might also be able to get a couple of the other area RV'ers to join up and provide taxi service from the airport of choice (LZU in Gwinnett, LYY in Kennesaw, etc.).
Moose,

Thanks for putting this together for us. Let's do a spring game, how about Sunday, April 20th against the Dogers?

If this date works, let's make another thread and see who else wants to join us.

Moose,

Thanks for putting this together for us. Let's do a spring game, how about Sunday, April 20th against the Dogers?

If this date works, let's make another thread and see who else wants to join us.

Bill,
Sunday April 20 works for me. The Braves' homepage doesn't list a game start time yet, but I think it's safe to assume it'll be an afternoon game (1:05 PM start).

I'll put a thread in the Southeast section of the forums, but of course it will be open to any and all who want to fly in.