UnPossible

Well Known Member
I wasn?t sure if and when I would ever share this story, but after the recent ?Liquid Plumber? confession, I thought I would go ahead and share my most embarrassing build story in the hopes that others would share theirs as well?. Here?s my story.

A couple of years ago, before I moved my airplane to the airport, I was working late one night in my garage on the wiring for my wingtip position lights. It was really hot in the garage, and not wanting to wake my wife up at 2AM digging for a pair of shorts, I decided to ditch my jeans and just work in my boxers. I was using some of those sticky backed cable tie mounting bases to secure the wiring for my lights. However, I had some issues with the sticky failing, so instead I was scraping all the sticky off the bases and installing them with 3M automotive contact adhesive.

I had mounted a couple of bases when I decided to run into the house to get a quick drink. Instead of putting the lid back on my nearly full tube of contact adhesive and putting it in a safe and secure location, I took the easy way out and just sat the tube down on the low wheeled chair I was using while working on the wiring.

Feeling much better after a short break and a quick drink, I returned to the garage and started up on the wiring again. Not long after resuming work, I started to notice a ?burning? sensation in my neither regions? you guessed it - I had just sat down, wearing only boxer shorts, on a nearly full tube of high strength contact adhesive and my butt was now burning and covered in glue.

Not wanting to have to go to the ER and explain to the doctors how I had ?glued my butt shut,? I did like any other industrious builder would do and looked for a solvent that would remove the adhesive from my butt. Looking around the garage, all I could find was some acetone?. Well, it seemed like a good idea at 2AM, so I grabbed a paper towel, doused it in acetone and proceeded working on ?ungluing my butt??..big mistake. If you thought that contact adhesive might sting a bit, the adhesive/acetone combo burned like the fire from 1,000 suns. So here I am at 2AM running naked into the house, yelling at my wife to wake up and start the shower so I can try and get the nuclear combination of contact adhesive and acetone out of my butt as quickly as humanly possible.

At first she was steamed that I woke her up at 2AM, but once I quickly explained to her the urgency of the situation, she was able to get the shower started for me, with tears running down her cheeks from laughing at my latest building mishap. Fortunately, I was able to get all the glue out in the shower and was spared the indignity of having to go to the ER and explain my predicament. So please learn from my experience and never leave a tube of contact adhesive, open on a chair at 2AM, or disastrous results like those above may occur.

Wow... just... wow. I feel so much better now about having stepped on a brand new, uncapped tube of Locktite while putting the Harley engine back together. No shower required for that one, just paper towels.

:)

Thanks for sharing that was a great laugh.

I have not started building my plane yet, but I am a life time garage rat with a lot of stories.

One of my favorites is a buddy was down helping out and he had run into a stubborn bolt that needed some extra force applied. Best way and as most here I am sure have done is to obtain a pipe to slide over the end of the rachet. Worked great, as the bolt broke loose the end of the pipe, which was cut at a sharp angle, hit hit square on the forehead leaving a nice open wound.

Still having much work to do, going to the ER room was not an option. Being a head wound it wouldn't stop bleeding either. We did have to go the the auto parts store for parts and they had the perfect solution right there on the shelf, super glue.

Once back at home, he used his index finger to hold the wound close while I applied the superglue. Just before I had applied the superglue he made the comment about "You better not get any on my finger!" Of course at that point I started to laugh myself, superglue gets on his finger and I now have my buddy running around the house calling me a lot of words I have never heard of before.

We still laugh at that, of course he got me back later that day. As I was filling his transmission fluid up in his truck, the bottle fell and I went to catch it running my thumb into the radiator fan. That one was too big for superglue and I ended up in the ER that night.

Classic man! I started laughing as soon as I got to "boxer shorts". You could have skipped the rest. It was inevitable.

Dude,

I just spit Mt. Dew all over my screen!

rolling-on-the-floor-laughing-smiley-emoticon.gif

Strange thing is I can see myself in the same situation!

When I was cranking in the shop I didn't have time for a real break usually. I stepped out the back door and took like 3 puffs off a cigarette, knocked the end off and tucked it behind my ear. Was back inside, elbow deep in a 421 motor and a Net Jet guy wanders over. He watches me work for a minute, gives me a straight face, and says "you know your heads on fire, right?"

I'm afraid I don't have anything really good yet, so I'll default back to a story from my young (read: poor) days when my roommate and I waged a constant battle to keep our respective beaters running. I don't remember what the problem was this particular day, but it was such that I felt the need to check and see if I was getting a spark from the engine in my crusty old Bronco II. I'd never done this before that I knew of, but the basic procedure seemed pretty easy to hash out. I dutifully yanked the coil wire, gripped it with a pair of pliers with coated handles, held it near a grounded surface, and gave my roommate the command to give it a crank.

I'm still not 100% sure to this day what happened. Maybe I had my elbow touching the fender and the tip of the wire too far away from its intended target. Whatever the reason, my arm became the path of least resistance for those impulses. I remember being able to feel each individual pulse, and every time I got a fresh pulse through my arm I'd invent another new curse word to emit at full volume.

In retrospect, the whole experience probably only lasted a couple seconds, but it felt like I spent about five straight minutes having this strange electrical hammer pounding on the inside of my arm, until my roommate stopped cranking and came flying out of the cab and around the front of the truck. I think he actually thought I was dying up there.

:D

Lol

I can't remember laughing that hard on any previous post in the 3 years I've been building! Thanks for the laugh.

David

Jason, that is one of the best stories about building I have heard.

I nearby nominate Jason's call sign to be.......

CHEEKS!

Is the another motion or a second?

DUDE!!!!

That is THE funniest building story I have ever heard and yes...I can see myself doing the same thing.

Funny Stuff.

Even funnier than my brother welding his 4130 fuselage tubing (for his own design). Seems he too was in a hurry and was only wearing coveralls commando style. The coveralls didn't have a zipper, only buttons. Sure enough the quickest way out of a fuselage frame under construction is when a blob of hot metal drops just so between the buttons in the crotch area onto one's private parts.

Sha-Zamm!

Needless to say he started wearing underwear with his coveralls after that experience.

Although I don't have a good story of my own, this reminds me of one of my favorites that was told to me by a guy in our EAA chapter. I won't give his identity. He can fess up if he wants to.

He was building his RV-7A, and had some parts temporarily held together with Cleco clamps. Some of these parts needed to be adjusted slightly, and apparently one of the clamps near his fingers was just barely gripping the parts. With some slight movement from his finger, the clamp slipped off the parts, and clamped his nearby finger.

Attempts to simply pull the clamp off were unsuccessful, and a frantic search for the Cleco pliers followed...

OMG Jason!!! Man I really feel for you. Funny now, not so funny then.
Now that your plane is done----yep its funny. I can just see your wifes face now!!!
Tom

Go ahead laugh it up!

Ok, fine! I confess to post #19. And I drilled a hole in my finger. And if that were not enough, I almost chopped my finger off with that evil fly cutter too even after everybody tells you not to.

It's kinda like the time the engine crapped out in my Bonanza over Spartanburg and I had to dead stick with 700 overcast. You better be careful reading these posts thinking, "that will not happen to me".

Building an airplane will change you forever. Be careful and you may make it through without loosing a digit or gluing you butt together.

wow

you'll be qualified to "fly by the seat of your pants"

Last edited by a moderator:
As they say on the interwebs, "you owe me a new keyboard." That tops any build story I can remember in the 7+ long years of this project.