prkaye

Well Known Member
Inspired by others on this forum, I decided to fabricate my own metal oil door. I used .064 aluminum, a hidden hinge, and a suprlus Hartwell latch I got from Spruce for $25. For somethign that is going to be operated thousands of times, I wanted somethign a little more ruged than Vans' fiberglass oil door and camlocks. I went through two fiberglass oil doors before I decided this. I had troubles getting the fiberglass door to really stay down flush, particularly at the corners. I also beefed up the lip under the door with extra layers of fiberglass, particularly where the latch grabs it. The metal door can be shaped perfectly. I also like how rugged it feels, particularly with the beefy Hartwell latch.
Photos below in case anyone wants to do something similar.

Very nice, thanks for posting the pics. Saved to my hard drive for reference when I get to that point.

Nice job. Mine looks just like yours - a single Hartwell right in the middle. I used the f/g door however, and epoxied in some stiffeners on the underside. The whole setup has been solid for 378 hours now.