RV7Factory

Chief Obfuscation Officer
Earlier today... In an amazing display of both stupidity and inattention, while drilling the stiffeners to the skin I managed to drill three extra holes in my elevator skin. These holes are inline and centered between with the normal stiffener holes. Only the skin has the extra holes, not the stiffener. The good new is.... this is on the bottom of the elevator.

Replacing the skin seems like overkill, so I can either...
A) Match drill the stiffener and rivet these holes. I will just have three extra rivets on this stiffener.
B) Don't match drill the stiffener. Deburr the skin holes but leave them open, and fill them with something later (since they have the undrilled stiffener behind).

Comments, opinions, anecdotes?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Brad:

As you said, the best thing about this is that it is on the bottom of your elevator. IMHO, the best way to fill these holes is to just drill them into your stiffeners and slap some rivets into them.

Regards,

Agreed wholeheartedly!

If you don't put rivets there vibrations from the engine running might eventually break up the bondo/paint and moisture and gunk from the engine will get in there and corrosion will start. Rivet 'em up fer sure!

BTW, Flash has a few spots on her like that :eek: .

At least you didn't drill into your hand yet (which I've done :eek: ).

Off to the airport and best,