Randy Hooper

Well Known Member
Hi all, I am in need of suggestions.
I replaced the carb on my RV-4. It has an O-320 A3A. The reason for replacement was wear and the accelerator pump had given up. Other than that it was running fine. With a fresh overhaul carb from Kelly Aerospace, the engine begins to run lean at about 1000 RPM. If I get to 900 RPM then rapidly advance to WTO, the engine will run full power. Retarding the throttle will result in popping and snapping as if it has been leaned too much. Further retarding, it just shuts down.
So in summary it runs well between idle and 900 RPM. Then again wide open. It seems to be lean between 1000 RPM and something less than wide open. Fuel pressure is good and nothing disturbed other than the carb and fuel supply line.
It will be Monday before I can call the supplier. Any body have a suggestion?
Thanks.

Randy Hooper

Send it back and make them fix it. Overhauls cost to much for them to do a poor job. Sounds like one of the small orifices on the side wall of the throttle body is plugged or you might have an air leak.

Could be several things so instead of risking warranty issues with the new rebuild, I would send it back....