kentb

Well Known Member
Last year I didn't get to do the summer flying that I wanted to because of the FAA/medical hold up.
So this year I planed to make up for it a little. Because you can never tell what may happen to your flight status I want to fulfill one of my goals of flying to each of the lower 48 states. The other goals of this flight plan is to land at OSH, FFA, leadville (highest airport) and death valley (lowest airport).
This trip will allow me to visit my daughter at RMN also.

Here is the plan which can be cut/pasted into runwayfinder.com.

Thursday afternoon 9/2/10:

7s9;ksff;kcoe;KHLN

There is a bunk house at KHLN and a airport car to use.

Friday:

khln;w43;kd07;kbwp;ky63;kosh;kugn

Fly by Crazy Horse and Mt Rushmore.

Saturday:

kgyy;kduh;kphd;KHLG;Kagc;kalb;kddh;kcon;ksfm;klwm;ksfz

Sunday:

ksfz;kbdr;kmjx;kged;kcge;krmn

Visit my daughter here.

Tuesday:

krmn;kffa;kogb;Kdbn;kpns;k4r4

Wednesday:

VKS;ktvr;kawm;kdyr;1m7;kuuv;KCBF;kmle;krsl

Thursday:

krsl;KGUY;kdht;klxv;kank;kbdg;azc;67l;lo6;3o8

Friday:

3o8;kove;7s9

There is a little flex in the east bound route to pick up (mostly fly by) some interesting locations, but I don't have to be home until Sunday afternoon so I can add some other stops/fly overs on the way home.

This schedule assumes no weather problem.

I would be interested on input as to airports to stay the night. I won't be staying long (eat/sleep/back to the airport), so I won't mind staying at cheaper motels. Just need to figure the least expensive way to get to and from the motel/food and back to the airport the next morning.
Also any must see points of interest on the route home.

Kent

The only issue I see is that you're going to miss Texas on your trip!

If wx forces you on a southerly path, let us know. We've got a place for you 10 minutes from 9x1.

Phil

Thanks for the offer Phil.

The only issue I see is that you're going to miss Texas on your trip!

If wx forces you on a southerly path, let us know. We've got a place for you 10 minutes from 9x1.

Phil

Kdht is in TX. I know it is not the heart of TX, but a lot closer to my optimal path than 9X1. If I get blown off coarse I may give you a call.:D

Kent

I forgot about Dalhart. That's a good fuel stop...

I grew up in those fertile areas between the Oklahoma and Texas panhandles....

If you decide to go on up to Clayton, NM. Find a ride up to the Eklund Hotel. It's a wild west saloon full of bullet holes and the such. I believe the claim is it's haunted too. :)

Phil

VKS...

Vicksburg has a courtesy car, but I don't think it's for overnight trips.

It is a bit out of town (so is the other Vicksburg airport TVR), but if you get there before 5:00 I bet the staff would give you a ride...:)

We were there a few weeks ago, no tiedown fees and a friendly staff - it was one of my favorite towns on our trip (the other was Bardstown, KY) so I think you should stay there longer than overnight...:D

All of the Vicksburg hotels were in the lower cost range of our whole trip - and all well guarded - here's the Hampton Inn's cannon...:)

Please check the radar in Colorado starting around noon. We get thunderstorm buildup in the mountains early this time of year which may impact your schedule.

Radar16Aug2010_2000Z.gif

I also suggest flying over the Grand Canyon on your way to Death Valley.

Stopping at Salida to get fuel may not be optimal but once you realize that you probably need to stop at Leadville in the early morning before continuing west you can adjust your stops accordingly.

At Leadville stop and get your highest airport certificate.

On the way to Mt Rushmore fly by Devil's Tower

Before the Grand Canyon fly by Monument Valley Utah

To be honest, I do not think that you will make this schedule. Look at USA radar throughout the day to see why.

It also looks like you may going into the DC special area. Check aopa.org for the online tutorial that you need to take before going in that area.

Last edited:
Kent, certainly not a cheap motel, but your K4R4 overnight is about 2 miles from the Grand Hotel Marriott at Point Clear.....nice place.

impossible

Impossible to know were any of those airports are unless we are based there. Unless we take the trouble to look them up????????
How about you say the name of the states you are traveling through.

Impossible to know were any of those airports are unless we are based there. Unless we take the trouble to look them up????????
How about you say the name of the states you are traveling through.

Jay, clink on the link I posted above and it will show you his entire route as an image. I do agree the codes are useless by themselves though.

right

Sid,

That helps. Did you have to put all those idenifiers in the runway finder?
I offten wonder what posters are thinking when we read that RVx does a first flight at Kxyz?? Or N1234 finaly flies!! ? Was it a RV??? If I new it was near me I might likely fly over with a personal hand shake.
City names are better than an airport name.

Last edited:
If you have an extra day coming back across Nebraska, you'll enjoy Pioneer Village near 0V3. (That's Minden, NE for Jay.:D)

Also, if you decide you don't like the terrain on the direct route from Death Valley to Harris Ranch, try this route through Trona Gap and stop in Tehachapi. The ride south through Death Valley is spectacular. There's an outside chance your 9A will fit in the hangar with my 170, and a bed and a bean at Château Bowen will be cheaper that those at Harris Ranch!

Last edited:
Be careful around the Washington DC area

As someone else pointed out there is a large Special Flight Rules Area (SFRA) and several restricted areas (two just south of RMN). Pax River also has some. It is not really difficult to fly in this area (I do it all the time) but you definitely have to be diligent about air space and restricted areas.

Miles, your route does look a little more friendly.

If you have an extra day coming back across Nebraska, you'll enjoy Pioneer Village near 0V3. (That's Minden, NE for Jay.:D)

Also, if you decide you don't like the terrain on the direct route from Death Valley to Harris Ranch, try this route through Trona Gap and stop in Tehachapi. The ride south through Death Valley is spectacular. There's an outside chance your 9A will fit in the hangar with my 170, and a bed and a bean at Ch?teau Bowen will be cheaper that those at Harris Ranch!

I have been think about getting a steak at Harris for more then a year now, but getting to meet plain (plane) folks is also interesting.

Kent

Kent,

Looks like a great adventure. Here's a few fly-by thoughts and possibilities. Some may be a bit too far off path for the schedule, but ya never know what will come your way on such a Barnstorming Expedition...

That route from Spokane to Helena will be magnificent...beautiful lakes and rivers, and Glacier National Park is just north of Kalispell, north of your route (you may already know about that, being from the west).

Devil's Tower (Close Encounters) is near Gillette, near where you dip into Wyoming...better seen from lower altitudes if you fly by it.

Out east, near Poughkeepsie, NY, there's an old WWI airshow grass field called Old Rheinbeck Aerodrome, and they have flying WWI aircraft on display. Perhaps a bit south of where you're headed, but if weather drives you south of Albany, may be worth a look. It's private, but there are a couple (small) airports nearby.

Might not be time for it, but in Pensacola has the Naval Aviation Museum...one of the best (I'm biased...but it is! ;))

Do get the certificate at Leadville, and enjoy the ride down the Arkansas River Valley to Salida...to your west will be a line of beautiful 14'ers...very majestic! Salida or Buena Vista are nice airports...BV may be a better lunch stop...cute town. West out of Salida, the route from Gunnison to Montrose includes Blue Mesa Reservoir and the Black Canyon. Very pretty country...I think that road is called the million dollar highway, and might give you a little friendlier terrain and more outs than hugging the mountains just north of Telluride (TEX).

West of Montrose, a bit to the northwest is Moab and Canyonlands airport...pretty country (Arches National Park) and a good alternate if Blanding has weather. As said earlier, Monument Valley is a great fly-through spot, and as you head west Lake Powell and the Painted Desert are very picturesque.

North of Vegas, I don't think you can run straight through R-4806 (Nellis Ranges). You may want to plan a route that goes south of Vegas, or at least south of the ranges, and get a Class B clearance to get through Vegas (or go south or over) on the way to Furnace Creek. Jean, NV is a good pit stop SW of Vegas, as an alternative to Mesquite (which does have great gas prices though!).

Concur on south versus west out of Death Valley. Pretty rugged (and high) stretch of the Sierras to the west! Heck, it might even be movie night at Rosie's in Rosamond for all ya know...though you already have a nice invite in that neck of the woods!

Enjoy the steak at Harris Ranch too...way good!

Some really innovative and creative planning there...have a great adventure!!

Cheers,
Bob

I did a mini version of this last fall for the northeastern US states. A few points.

1) Always get a flight briefing or otherwise check TFRs. I managed to get past NYC 15 minutes or so before a presidential TFR started. That is not one I want to get nailed on.

2) I did have weather delays twice. Coming back from Niagara Falls I was headed to Kalamazoo MI. Over Toledo the weather ahead looked IFR or marginal VFR. I turned around and landed at Toledo. I checked west and called one airport to ask about a rental car. No joy. They would close before i could get there.

My mistake was not noticing Great Bend Indiana just minutes west which should have had an FBO open past 5 PM.

The second weather delay was just five miles or so from my home airport. Snow squalls kept me from getting home and I diverted to La Junta about 70 miles or so to the southeast to overnight.

Weather wuss and darn proud of it.

Be prepared to have a backup airport for each state in case of issues.

Another suggestion: Aim for the northernmost (Piney Pinecreek MN...see my report on it), easternmost (in Maine) and southernmost (Key West) airports in the lower 48.

Last edited:
Kent, ... Concur on south versus west out of Death Valley. Pretty rugged (and high) stretch of the Sierras to the west! Heck, it might even be movie night at Rosie's in Rosamond for all ya know...though you already have a nice invite in that neck of the woods!

Enjoy the steak at Harris Ranch too...way good!

Some really innovative and creative planning there...have a great adventure!!

Cheers,
Bob

If it does happen to be movie night at Rosie's, we can do that too!

Thank you one and all for your help.

I have been modifying my plan as suggestions come in.

I won't repeat my entire plan, but here are two leg that I have changed.
I was happy to find that runwayfinder can find more then just airport names.

http://www.runwayfinder.com/?loc=khln;kgey;devils tower;kcut;mount rushmore;kabr;kbwp;ky63;kosh;kugn

http://www.runwayfinder.com/?loc=kr...dg;monument valley;kpga;kbvu;lo6;l72;l71;ktsp

I am assuming that this leg will be done in two days, so that I can hit Leadville first thing in the morning.

Kent

Last edited:
Something about the way I cut and pasted the link.

Kent, the second one has a problem. It shows KMNH which may be an AWOS. The Monument Valley area airport is UT25

http://www.airnav.com/airport/UT25

If you wish, head in that direction after leaving Blanding to see Monument Valley then head west to Page (PGA). You will pass south of Navajo Mountain on the way to Page.

Maybe this is what you wanted:

http://www.runwayfinder.com/?loc=krsl;KGUY;kdht;klxv;kank;kbdg;ut25;kpga

I have fixed both links above (post #19) to work correctly.

Thank Ron.

Kent

After leaving Dalhart one possible overnight option is at La Junta Colorado (KLHX for Jay)

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KLHX

Last year they had a simple room in the FBO building for perhaps $10 and a courtesy car to go eat. Call to verify.

As mentioned, Buena Vista (KAEJ) may be a better fuel stop but I suspect that you can bypass KAEJ and get fuel at Page. All depends upon your fuel strategy.

I hope that you have an autopilot. This is far more extensive a trip than I have ever done.

Kent,

If for any reason you need to stop at Waukesha (KUES, just west of Milwaukee) I will put you up in a comfy spot. If I knew when exactly you were in OSH, I would meet you up there and give you any supplies you might need.

I hope that you have an autopilot. This is far more extensive a trip than I have ever done.

A trip like that without an autopilot will grow hair on your chest! I just finished the one below in a not overly well-rigged 100kt airplane.:eek:
e5s7cy.gif

Tony, that would be great.

Kent,

If for any reason you need to stop at Waukesha (KUES, just west of Milwaukee) I will put you up in a comfy spot. If I knew when exactly you were in OSH, I would meet you up there and give you any supplies you might need.

I'll trade dinner for a place to stay.
I'll buy fuel at OSH, but don't think that I will need any supplies.
I should be at Waukesha around 4:00pm on Friday, assuming that I don't have any weather delays.

Kent

I'll trade dinner for a place to stay.
I'll buy fuel at OSH, but don't think that I will need any supplies.
I should be at Waukesha around 4:00pm on Friday, assuming that I don't have any weather delays.

Kent

Sounds good, I will send you a PM later with all my info. You will plan to park at Spring City Aviation (flight school I work for). There are on the Southeast side of the airport at taxiway Delta and Foxtrot.

I can't tell from any info provided but how many NEW states will you land at during this trip?

Most of them.

I can't tell from any info provided but how many NEW states will you land at during this trip?

I have been as far north as Orcas Island (ORS) in Washington.
I have been south to San Diego (Brown Field KSDM).
I have been to Helen (HLN).

So that makes Wa, Or, Ca, Id, Mt. So 43 more states on this trip.

I'll be turning 60 this year, so I need to start expanding my range.:D

Kent

Kent, I have my issues with weather and assorted other flying factors and so do not wish to impose my problems on your trip, but I will offer some insight. Here is a flight conditions map from a few minutes ago

Conditions19Aug1515Z.jpg

If you were in VA and wanted to get to Florida landing at all the states in between, it seems unlikely right now. I have also seen times when heavy rain extends from the Gulf to the Great Lakes area. Maybe not this time of year.

Then there is haze. I think on two trips to the southeast haze was my nemesis. I would see something ahead that may have been clouds or haze. Not having inflight satellite coverage and not always able to understand from Flight Watch where it got clear, I would descend to get below the phenomenon. I hate flying low. Visibility of five miles is almost IFR from what I am used to.

Then flying west towards the sun in haze I would have to descend so that I had ground to maintain attitude.

This is a major trip. Keep good records. Take pictures and post updates along the way.

Last edited:
Ron, I agree.

Kent, I have my issues with weather and assorted other flying factors and so not wish to impose my problems on your trip, but I will offer some insight. Here is a flight conditions map from a few minutes ago

If you were in VA and wanted to get to Florida landing at all the states in between, it seems unlikely right now. I have also seen times when heavy rain extends from the Gulf to the Great Lakes area. Maybe not this time of year.

Then there is haze. I think on two trips to the southeast haze was my nemesis. I would see something ahead that may have been clouds or haze. Not having inflight satellite coverage and not always able to understand from Flight Watch where it got clear, I would descend to get below the phenomenon. I hate flying low. Visibility of five miles is almost IFR from what I am used to.

Then flying west towards the sun in haze I would have to descend so that I had ground to maintain attitude.

This is a major trip. Keep good records. Take pictures and post updates along the way.

I am a weather chicken.
I have a well equipped cockpit, with 496 and weather. I just last night installed foreflight on my iPad and am looking at what is going on. Looks pretty nasty on the central east coast and around CO.
Although I am IFR rated, I haven't flown that way for more then five years, so I have already decide that this trip would be strictly VFR.
If my plan gets blocked by weather, I'll change my plan. My flight plan is the goal if something doesn't get in the way of the plan.

All my goals will be will be given up if need be. I can always try again next year.

Kent

It may take a little more planning, but research each landing spot, and find a good place to step out of the plane and take a picture. Hopefully the majority of the stops will have a sign with the airport and city name for a good background. This will make an awesome collage, aka trophy to hang on your wall when you are finished, but you have to make sure you remember, any missing photo will stand out and drive you nuts later.