SATX

I'm New Here
I just want to share with the Van's community that I just did my first solo yesterday with my RV-6.
I'm a student pilot who just started and I have a total of 14hrs with my RV and 28hrs total flight time.
To me it was great deal, because I was a little skeptical with the purchase of a tail-wheel being a student pilot. But thanks to all my friends and my instructor for the support given, I bought it and don't regret a bit.
The more I fly my plane the more I love my RV!
It's fast, stable, good on fuel, and it definitely improved my take-offs and landings skills.
On Jan.20 I practiced some cross-wind landings with 350? 22/26 winds using RWY 8. It was a very good learning experience it was not a piece of cake, but the RV did the job beautifully!
I hope this thread will encourage and help others that are looking for a tail-wheel.
All what I needed was a great instructor, take my time and desire to learn it.

Cheers!

Sweet. I'm looking to make a purchase and your experience has encouraged me to include tailwheels in my search.

Welcome to VAF!!!!

RB, first off, welcome aboard VAF:D

Second, CONGRATULATIONS on the solo in your plane.:D:D

That's quite an accomplishment Sir. Most excellent job, congratulations! Great first post!

Congratulations indeed. It's been about 14 months since my first solo, and you'd better believe I remember every moment of that day.

Congrats..............

on your solo in your RV6. Not the easiest thing to do, but getting your PPL in a 6 is very doeable. I just got my PPL 12/4/10 in my 6, that I built. Really have never flown anything else. Your very correct, your instructor is the key to your success, just don't rush it and hang on to that instructor, good ones are hard to find.

San Antonio Boys must be tough minded. (That is my hometown too.)

Fly safe...........

Awesome

Congradulations I don't think you ever forget your first solo or your first solo in an RV! I learned like many others in a spam can Cessna 152 in the mountains. Had many days when we were lucky to see 500 feet per min:eek:. I absolutely love my RV and the performance is not even comparable::D

Congratulations for sure.....

....but many years ago, all you could learn in were taildraggers! Cubs mostly but a fair share of Aeroncas and Luscombes.

Best,

Wise Man!

Congratulations! When I soloed it was in a C-152, not much to brag about there!
That is very cool (and smart) that are doing your training in your RV.
There are so many advantages to learning in a tailwheel!

Hey many thanks to you all.
All the warmth reception is a great support to any newbie!
Superb community with many friendly and knowledgeable pilots.
I will definitely show up at KBAZ one of these weekends.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Congrats and info

I just thought I would give you my 2 cents worth. What you learn to fly in really doesn't matter much as long as you have proper instruction. The RV is a great platform. I offer this bit of advice. DON'T GET TOO COCKY WITH YOUR ABILITIES IN LANDING UNTIL YOU'VE DONE 100 OR MORE. I tell this to anyone who has a new tailwheel endorsement. I have had many pilots come back and tell me how right this advice is. Somewhere down the line things will go haywire for no apparent reason, usually after you are on the ground. It is really a sobering experience. Fly safe and and congrats again.
Woodman

Congratulations!

It wasn't to long ago that I was in your shoes. Way to go, you are now a member of a very small population. One that has flown an airplane! You are well on your way to your PPL. Flying is a blessing and a significant responsibility. Enjoy the beauty and excitement but always, always fly responsibly. Good luck!:D

Way to go!! You will become a much better stick-and-rudder pilot by learning to fly in a taildragger. No lazy spam-can feet for you. ;)

Solo

You never forget your first Solo. Kinda like your first girlfriend. My heart was pounding so hard. I thought this must be why they make you get the physical. Every thing was happening very quickly in the C-150 without my 250 pound flight instructor on board. Made pattern altitude in 1/3 the time. I solo'd in 7.5 hours.

RV6 a good plane for PPL training?

I'm working on my PPL. I have about 25 hours over the last 40 years (don't laugh - life gets in the way...) including 6 in a sloppy rigged Aeronca Chief with a tail wheel that would flip 180 degrees (backwards) with the slightest encouragement - not a confidence builder. I have 10 recent hours, about ready to solo, and I have an opportunity to buy a VFR RV6 (0-320 160 hp)at a great price. The question is this a suitable plane to finish up my training? I thought it would be intimidating compared to a C152 but two of my high hour friends say it's a fine plane for training and building hours locally. But they don't fly Vans on a regular basis (one is building a RV10). What do you guys and gals think? Thanks!

Last edited:
You bet. It will be an adjustment...for the better. Why spend more time training in a plane that is not what you want?
Have the plane checked out by someone qualified and familiar with RVs, preferably someone who has experience building one, and if things are still a go, get on with it and let the fun begin!

Erich

I remember mine too!

Congratulations indeed. It's been about 14 months since my first solo, and you'd better believe I remember every moment of that day.

It's been about 46 years since my first solo and I remember it vividly too! I'm sure both of you will remember your solo's for the rest of your lives. Congratulations to you both!

Congrats!

I too remember my first solo - It was in Chandler Arizona in N47851 (same plane i did my checkride in) back in 1999. Congrats! just remember there is no 12 step program for aviation addiction.

I'm working on my PPL. I have about 25 hours over the last 40 years (don't laugh - life gets in the way...) including 6 in a sloppy rigged Aeronca Chief with a tail wheel that would flip 180 degrees (backwards) with the slightest encouragement - not a confidence builder. I have 10 recent hours, about ready to solo, and I have an opportunity to buy a VFR RV6 (0-320 160 hp)at a great price. The question is this a suitable plane to finish up my training? I thought it would be intimidating compared to a C152 but two of my high hour friends say it's a fine plane for training and building hours locally. But they don't fly Vans on a regular basis (one is building a RV10). What do you guys and gals think? Thanks!

I would think it would be great to buy a great plane. Just make sure that you can find and instructor that can finish your training in the RV. I would also make sure you have someone who has built and RV look at the plane thoroughly and inspect all the logs before you committ any money.