Nomex Maximus

Well Known Member
Hello All,

I just spent the day getting my first flights and first transition training in an RV. I had never flown an RV before - this was my first time flying an RV and my first flight training in an RV. I thought I would take a moment and share some impressions from the standpoint of someone whose flying experience is mostly Cessna 172s so far.

Mike Seager is out in Michigan this weekend giving training in his RV-7. I had never actually seen a completed and flying RV up close let alone fly one, even though I have had pieces on an RV-7A QB sitting in my garage or basement for the past two and a half years. Seeing one up close for the first time was very helpful in that I was able to see things like where the fuel lines go, where the flaps are controlled from and how many other things were actually put together. The present state of my airplane is that I have most of the emppenage done and am ready to start thinking about what engine to choose and what instruments to get.

I got my flight training about two and a half years ago in California. I was trained first in a Skipper then in 172s. I have about 200 hours of flight time. I had no tailwheel experience before this morning. I have had only a little flight time in the past year due to family commitments and also because I have been putting time into Civil Air Patrol. Last night I spent about two and a half hours in a Skyhawk doing pattern practice.

So I showed up this morning for the first flight at Three Rivers in Michigan. After Mike spent some time debugging an electrical problem we were ready for a flight. Mike took the right seat and talked me through the startup, taxi and take off of his RV-7. At first, it was very hard to see where I was going what with the nose blocking the view. As we began to roll for the takeoff, I felt like I had to just sort of trust that I was going down the runway correctly. While you might see Van's website claiming 2500 foot per minute climb rates, the take off was a much more casual 1000 fm or so. The controls were very light compared to 172s. Acceleration very much quicker. A lot of attention needs to be paid to keeping the plane going straight down the runway and that is something I am struggling with so far.

Anyhow, we climbed out of Three Rivers and went off to do the basic manuveurs - clearing turns, steep turns, stalls. No suprises only that the airplane takes very light control inputs to make it do what you want it to do. Much less effort to do simple things than a 172 would require. Much easier to maintain a specific altitude than a 172 would require. You don't move the controls so much as apply a pressure to them to make the airplane do what you want.

Stalls were a bit different. I have flown Cessnas where the stall comes slowly and with a lot of warning with the controls getting wobbly and a buffet preceding the stall. I have flown a Diamond DA40 where the stall is so mushy that you can pull the stick all the way back and be stalled but with the airplane still in a sort of nose up attitude. But on the RV-7, the stall is sharp and without much warning. But, the recovery is rapid and easy.

We then turned to go back to Three Rivers for touch and go practice, or should I say stop and go practice. Most instructors I have had would have me just touch down on the runway and then while still rolling tak off again. Mike however would have me do a complete full stop landing and then, while at the far half of the runway take off again from a full stop. The RV requires such a short roll that this is not a problem. In a Cessna I'd have to turn around and go back the the starting end of the runway.

Anyhow, we did several circuits of the pattern. Flying the pattern and setting up the approach was easy. Reduce power and drop half flaps abeam the numbers and then power to capture 85 knots. Turn bas and drop the rest of the flaps maintain 85 knots. Turn final and power to control descent. But now the hard part comes, at least for me. Being a 172 pilot I have a completely different sight picture in my mind of how to round out and flare. That won't work in a low wing taildragger. I had consistent difficulty first correctly judging the roundout height and then the flare. I bounced a few times and none of the landings so far were what I would call "good". Then the real problems came on - you really have to have a touch for how to steer the taildragger after touchdown that so far I haven't got. Need to be very light and fast on the rudder pedals and I am still struggling with that.

Anyhow the first lesson was over. Another student took his turn and then we had lunch. After lunch Mike tok me up again and we spent some time in the pattern at Sturgis. Landings were still difficult, and this was probably the hardest flight training experience I have had in nearly 100 hours of dual received so far. Flying an RV is very easy. Landing a taildragger is not. Good thing that I am buillding a 7A.

Overall I'd say that I would very highly recommend Mike as an instructor. He is patient, knowlegeable and thoroughly professional. A very refreshing departure from the 20-soemthing airline pilot wannabes that seem to dominate tha CFI market out this way. I am looking forward to tomorrows two flights before he heads off to Osh Kosh.

As I say, I have two more flight to go tomorrow and I will write more about the experience when I am done.

-- John

Last edited:
RV flight

Thanks for the info. Very interesting to me since my 9 is getting close an my experence is 172s' and no tailwheel time. Looking forward to your mext post.
G.P.

I can certainly related to being a new tailwheel pilot with a just completed RV9.
Now, after 120 hrs, all I can say is that with a little practice and some t/w training you will "get it" and that moment is like a switch going on in your brain. After that is just lots more practice. I am satisfied with 90% of my landings now and love the challenge and reward of a greaser. A t/w RV is a great confidence builder.

Don't worry about the climb rate

Mike was being gentle. My 7a hits 2600fpm+ on a cool morning with just me in it and a slightly warmed thru IO360 (probably 185 to 190HP).

Compared to a C172 it climbs like a scalded cat.

Enjoy

Frank