DonFromTX

Well Known Member
I finally had an opportunity to fly an RV12 for the first time a couple of days ago. I was very impressed, had thought it would be more twitchy and not very stable, and was surprised. Stalls were a non event, cabin was quiet, visibility was beyond belief. It seems to have all the good things that my last plane, an Ercoupe that I never loved much, did NOT have.
This was one equipped with the faster, more powerful, less expensive, fuel injected engine that we are not supposed to talk about on this forum, but I had no problem going as fast as we are supposed to fly.
I am pumped up more than ever to get mine finished and get in the air for more of that type of fun. Build on, it will be worth it, a fine plane when you are done for sure.
I also visited Walt Shipley in TN, he was down for an annual, but I never see a 12 that don't give me some new ideas.

Nice!

Hey Don......thats great....now get yours done or I will have to send your brother Norm down there to motivate you!!!!:D

Well, he COULD come down and help me get it finished up, he should be able to handle the SL40 to SL30 exchange at least. I used to think that was what little brothers were for, but he seems to be avoiding visits to me while I have a build in progress..

Hey Don......thats great....now get yours done or I will have to send your brother Norm down there to motivate you!!!!:D

RV12 Flight

Don, I was hoping we coiuld have that honor of the first flight.
Stop by when you are this way and we will fly our version.

AL

Well you came mighty close Al! We had votes for going back thru New Orleans that overpowered my vote to go to your place, so a little sidewalk jazz became the reality.

Don, I was hoping we coiuld have that honor of the first flight.
Stop by when you are this way and we will fly our version.

AL

Don,

Thanks for the report and inspiration.

Just last week I finally got back to building on my RV-12 after over a year off (selling a house, buying a house, moving, finishing up getting my pilots license after a 43 year delay, etc.)

Jim

Don, if I knew you were still a virgin with regard to riding in an RV-12, I woulda flown N737G all the way down there to do the honors. I just assumed.....

Bob Bogash
N737G

It says a lot for Vans' reputation that so many of us bought kits without flying one. Me included.

Me too! To date, the only one I've ever been in, is mine under construction. Just crawled out of the fuse from installing the ADS-B. I need a massage, badly.

Great report on your first RV-12 flying experience, Don!
Interesting comments about handling, stall characteristics, noise, visibility and performance.
Just for the record, was it powered by Viking?

Any idea when you will be ready for a taxi test with yours?
Where are you at with your build now?

Bill I.

Last edited: