Funbobby

Hello everyone,

I'm about to make one of the biggest decisions of my life and order an RV-8! I'm ordering the tail first, then all of the other kits to get today's pricing and to make sure I have plenty to work on over the winter (I only work 25hrs a week during the winter months).

I have some questions that I hope you can help me with:

1. I was wondering about the risks/rewards involved with ordering lighting now. I was thinking of ordering (2) HID-DW50 landing lights and (1) LN-201 Aero Pulsar NS 90 Left and Right & (1) LN-210 Aero Suntail Position/Strobe.

2. Are these the lights of choice these days?

3. Can I save money by shopping around, or should I just get them from Vans?

I have more questions, but I'll make new threads since they are unrelated. Thanks so much!

~Bob

Last edited:
Bob,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on getting started on the road to RVation! In my opinion, the risk of buying lights now is that you will find something that you like better/cheaper later. And time is money. If you have the time and energy, you can probably find good deals both here on the forum and elsewhere on the internet and thereby save money. How much depends on how much time you have to search out the deals and how long you can wait.

You will find a lot of information on this site that can help you at least be informed about the various decisions you will be making over the coming years, but ultimately, the decisions will be yours to make.

cheers,
greg

Thanks Greg, that sounds like good advice to me. I'm all about finding deals! I can't even believe I'm about to buy a plane I can't afford - but we only go around once!

Congrats.

Welcome and congratulations! You won't regret your decision!

As far as landing/taxi lights, here's what I did:

Order two Duckworks Round Installation kits.
http://www.duckworksav.com/InstallKits.html

Order two "Par 36" reflectors. I ordered the D1S reflectors.
http://www.duckworksav.com/Upgrades.html

Get a HID kit of your choice from eBay. I paid around $50.00.

a HID kit with an H3 will fit the standard (lower cost) reflector.

My total cost, for two setups to do both wings was about $330

Enjoy your build.

Hello everyone,

I'm about to make one of the biggest decisions of my life and order an RV-8! I'm ordering the tail first, then all of the other kits to get today's pricing and to make sure I have plenty to work on over the winter (I only work 25hrs a week during the winter months).

1. I was wondering about the risks/rewards involved with ordering lighting now. I was thinking of ordering (2) HID-DW50 landing lights and (1) LN-201 Aero Pulsar NS 90 Left and Right & (1) LN-210 Aero Suntail Position/Strobe.

I have more questions, but I'll make new threads since they are unrelated. Thanks so much!

~Bob
Edit/Delete Message

Thanks a lot! It's so helpful to have people out there with experience. It's hard to know where to put your money when on a limited budget. Thanks again!

My 2 cents is wait on ordering the lights, especially the HIDs. You'll have plenty to keep you busy for quite a while.

Yes, I think that's a good idea. I just want to know where the lights go and have pull strings installed when I build the wings. Any thoughts on that?

Hello everyone,

~Bob

By the time you need lights, we might not be allowed to fly at night.

Don't purchase anything till you need it. Things are changing all the time.

In fact, the panel would be just before phase 1................. :eek: