Pmerems

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Today I had formation instruction in my RV-7A. My co-pilot for the training was Beercan an RV-8 driver also an A-10 IP (he will be flying the A-10 in the heritage flights at Airventure). My RV-8 lead was Shotgun, an F-16 IP. So as you can see I was getting instruction from Americas best.

Lots of fun, lots of mistakes, lots of learning. We Practiced formation flight, joining turns and crossovers. It was exhilarating work. Then after the formation basics I let Beercan chase after Shotgun over some serious mountains in the MOA just south of town. A hard quick turn to the left and a 90 unloading bank to the right was enough for me and and had to call ?no joy?. Thankfully Shotgun called RTB (Return to Base-for those who haven?t hung around the military pilots much) and I formed up on him and we headed back to the airport.

Maybe someday I will feel the need for speed and tolerate the aggressive yanking and banking, but not today.

I look forward to my next opportunity to practice some more formation flight.

Welcome to the world of formation flight! It takes plenty of practice to get up to standards, and then even more practice to keep the edge. Don't worry too much about the "yank and bank". It takes a little time to build up your tolerance for manuevers. I always think of the in-trail time as the "candy" after the formation work. I really look forward to a little freestyle in-trail to loosen up.

After the in-trail, pop back into formation for the flight back to the airport and give a good show on the overhead break and landing. You'll learn a lot about your airplane, and really improve your stick skills when you get the hang of formation flight.

Stick to it and have fun!:D

Paul, it sounds like you got a real work out for your first formation flight. Hope you have an opportunity for a second without too much time lapse.

Half the hours in my '4' were spent flying in formation with your first RV that you sold to a buddy in the early '90's.

Let's do it again soon

I thought you did great for your first "real" formation flight. You will get used to the aggressive maneuvering the more you do it. I owe you some more formation work in return for the 5 hours you gave up on your 4th of July helping me track down that brake problem!

Mr. S

Paul, it sounds like you got a real work out for your first formation flight. Hope you have an opportunity for a second without too much time lapse.

Half the hours in my '4' were spent flying in formation with your first RV that you sold to a buddy in the early '90's.

Jim,

I has been a very long time since I last saw you, about 22 yrs. I took some photos of MB's RV up at Avra Valley Airport just after the first flew flights. I hadn't seen it since. I learned through Dr. Thrasher that MB passed away. While looking through Barnstormers I saw MB's RV4 for sale and seriously considered buying it back. However I was in the final stages of completing my RV7A and owning two airplanes wasn't in the cards.

I am glad you and MB had great times in your RV4's. I noticed you sold your in 2009 are you still flying?

Better than any air combat computer game

I thought you did great for your first "real" formation flight. You will get used to the aggressive maneuvering the more you do it. I owe you some more formation work in return for the 5 hours you gave up on your 4th of July helping me track down that brake problem!

Shotgun,

That was better then any air combat computer game I have ever played. I am 20 yrs your senior but when flying with you guys I feel like I am a kid again. Except my stomach tells me different::eek:

Jim,

I has been a very long time since I last saw you, about 22 yrs. I took some photos of MB's RV up at Avra Valley Airport just after the first flew flights. I hadn't seen it since. I learned through Dr. Thrasher that MB passed away. While looking through Barnstormers I saw MB's RV4 for sale and seriously considered buying it back.

I am glad you and MB had great times in your RV4's. I noticed you sold your in 2009 are you still flying?

Your AME in another life was a Phantom driver with me in Europe. So. AZ RVer's, I highly recommend him.

After losing my formation partner (if you're 50+ a colonoscopy is a must!) I lost interest in the RV. Formation flying was that much fun! Just approach it cautiously; your military buddies and I had another method of escape when we learned. Always remember the only thing lead wants to hear is "2" "bingo" and "lead you are on fire."

Here is your RV-4 today: http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/photo/360477.html

I have talked with the new owner recently and he absolutely loves it. Your throttle quadrant was ahead of its time in those days. You built a really nice '4'.

Last edited:
Hey Paul; sounds like your first form lesson was a lot like mine! In my case, lead and IP were both Snowbird pilots (both are, or have been, lead solo on the team). It sure does inspire confidence in what you're being taught when the guys doing the teaching have that kind of qualification and skill, doesn't it? Can't wait for Form 2:)

And I thought I was lucky getting taught by an ex-Tutor instructor and two ex-104 pilots. It would be neat to get a group of former (or current!) Snowbird pilots up with our group!