Closterman

Ok, I need help for this one.. I dimple the rudder skin whit a pneumatic sqeezer when I slip and do another hole just beside the good one...
I admit that is not a good idea...
What can I do now ? Buy another skin or I can repear ?

Thanks for any help !

Dont worry It has happened to all of us. My recomendation would be to drill 2 new holes one on either side of your slip up, Flatten both holes on the skin, (the mess up hole and the one adjacent to it) dont worry about flattening it on the rib, dimple the new holes and put rivets in the new holes. Alot of people end up fiberglassing over these rivets lines anyways so you can just fill it fiberglass over the 2 mess up holes.

Probably sounds very confusing if so I will try to explain better.

-david

I did that with my DRT2, DRILL a hole?, why not just punch a hole where you dont want one. GRRRR!

Martin,

This mistake is known as the dreaded dimple eight (because of the "8" shape formed by the original hole and the accidental hole made with the dimple die). It is a common mistake many of us have made once (hopefully only once), usually on one of the empennage skins. It is a right of passage. Welcome to the club.

Search the forum and you will find many threads about it, and many differing opinions on how best to proceed.

-Roee

I've got one on my rudder skin on one of the lower spar holes, it was a little closer than yours and when I dimpled the correct hole it cleaned up the nasty one...

Vans official verdict?

"Cover it with filler when you paint, Build on."

If I remember correctly I've got one on my HS as well but I took a ~4+ year break between the VS and Rudder...

I did that with my DRT2, DRILL a hole?, why not just punch a hole where you dont want one. GRRRR!

Bret,
That's interesting to hear, I was so mad after I added the hole to my rudder I was thinking about getting a DRDT2 just so that wouldn't happen again!:eek:

The DRT2 is the way to go, or the front end kit if you are frugal like me, 4 times faster, and my rhythm was going faster than my brain. The rudder skin is so thin I didn't even know I did it, I was going mostly by feel and look, now I look, feel then JAM! do not be afraid of over dimpling, I have a few proud rivets cause I was overly cautious.

Martin,

It looks like that is towards the top of the skin. I believe you may be able to straighten out the damaged area and drill it out, and debur it. Then set a rivet in the original hole. When you put on the top fairing, then you will have sufficent strength to put epoxy over the whole area without compromising strength. At least the damage is not in the middle of the rudder skin. Another option would be to drill a hole on either side of the damaged area, dimple and set two rivets. Them cover with epoxy when you put on the top fairing.

Good luck....

Last edited:
Everyone has great advice. The bottom line...don't sweat it. Repair it and move on otherwise you will never finish the plane.:) Perfection is the enemy of progress. (Not sure who said that but it wasn't me).

When I was at Oshkosh last year, I attended a few workshops/seminars and they repeated, "Don't try to get it perfect!"

That's going to be a tough one for me because I'm known to be extremely anal. I'm going to have to learn to "just let it go."

Thanks all for the idea...! I have talked with a good friend who work on Bombardier Aeronautic (CL-605 Regional Jet). He recommend me 2 things :

1- Drill the wrong hole larger to be sure to remove any crack propagation possibility. But, I think the 2 hole are too near to do that.

2- Buy a new skin, and use the old as template to matchdrill... Time and money consuming, but perfect result..

I don't know what I will do for now. Tonight I will take some measure and send that to Van's to know what he think about that... If I have to order something, it's just the right time, my wing will be crated in 2 weeks, so I guess they can add the required parts and the shipping cost will remain the same...

So, I will wait the Van's answer before to take the decision... By the time, I will start on the elevator....

What can I do now ? Buy another skin or I can repear ?
"Big mistake" haha, that's my chuckle for the day. You've got good advice about this "big" mistake...just wait 'till you make a REALLY big mistake. You'll know it because the current mistake will seem trivial.

The FIRST seam always to be bigger than in look in reality !! ;)

I just hope that it's the last, but I know it's probably the first of the many.... :rolleyes:

Don't waste your money on a new skin. You will spend upwards of a hundred and thirty bucks for that shipped to Quebec. $130 will by half a back up altimeter. Why waste the dough. Trust me, I did waste the dough and I usually regret it.

The skin are 47$ and the stringer 5$..! And if Van's can put the parts in my wing kit (scheduled to be ready in 3 weeks), I will not have to pay shipping..

But, if I can repair I will do it... I will wait Van's answer and take the decision after that......

Rreplace it

I think I already know what you have planned. I'd rather replace it than see it every time a waxed the plane and remind myself of the error. Save your money in areas that are cosmetic but can't be seen.