N208ET

Well Known Member
It only happens at low idle. I figured out what the noise was by sticking my feet under my rudder pedals and resting them on the firewall, which makes the drumming stop and I could also feel it through my shoes. Does anybody think this is worth doing something about, or should I leave it as one of those tendencies my 8A will forever have.

Randy

You could add a stiffener, carefully placed.
Like a left over piece of elevator rib.
But if it occurs only at low idle, and never in a continuous operating mode, you could live with it? Adding any weight to your plane is just bad, and it all adds up over time :(

Super Soundproofing

I glued super soundproofing to the inside of my firewall and forward floor, during the final stages of construction. This might help your problem. I did not us the self adhesive type I used the other kind a little lower on the page and used 3m spray adhesive from Lowes, I guess either would work, but I know mine has not come loose.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/cs/sound.html

That 3m sound and vibration damping panels, further down the page, might be a good fix also.

Last edited:
Might do a stiffener

We'll see if a better solution comes to me in my sleep. I have gave a little thought to putting soundproofing in the firewall, but that adds weight, and my planes weighs 1040 lbs, nice and light, trying to keep it that way. So far a well placed stiffener may be in the works. Thanks

Randy
8A